Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Provide 2 inputs when prompts Post 302863779 by prasanna2166 on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 06:02:17 AM
Old 10-15-2013
Provide 2 inputs when prompts

Hi All,

I am a novice to UNIX, i need to know is there a way to provide 2 inputs when the shell prompts and i need to assign those 2 values to 2 separate variables. I dont want to give those values as a arguments (while running the script).

Thanks in advance!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help with remote prompts

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that rsh's onto a remote machine and runs a perl script that requires values to be entered as the script executes. I also need to ba able to see the outputs from the perl script. When I try to run it I get an stty : Invalid argument and understand that this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting password prompts

Hi there Probably a really simple question but I am writing an install script and at certain stages of the install (ie creating a table in mysql) the system prompts for you to enter a password, I was wondering, how do I script this input so that the install doesnt keep stopping for manual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password prompts

I would like to log all the commands that are entered on an ssh client. I can do this successfully, however, I dont want to log user logins and passwords. Is there any way to identify passwords and avoid them? For example, I can look for a string 'password:' and ignore everything until a nl/cr. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balag
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

working in different prompts

hi i want a script which would invoke a different prompt and execute commands in that prompt and comes back. Is it possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopsman
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
16 Replies

7. AIX

Deleting a file prompts for a Yes or No

Hi.. I have been asked to delete files in a certain directory in our AIX server, but the problem is, there are over 1000 files to delete. I am prompted by a yes (y) or a no (n) each time and i don't wanna type in a 'y' a thousand times.. :-( Is there a command that i can use to make things faster?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect scripting not seeing the screen prompts.

Someone recommended using an expect script for an issue I was having so I tried writing one but of the 3 expected prompts on the screen, it only see responds to the first one. The code is: ==================================== #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f spawn /usr/local/bin/rcs -u1.1 xyz.fmb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjones006
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to provide auto inputs for a sub-script within a script?

Hi All, I am writing a shell script. #!/bin/bash cat /etc/hosts mkdir -p /var/tmp mount 113.123.35.37:/vol/vol615/syb /var/tmp In above script I am trying to add below predefined script/command (/var/tmp/db_tools) This command in turn ask for user input, which will be always option... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhur.baharani
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using tee command with ablity to provide input for prompts

OS version: RHEL 7.4 Shell : bash I would like to capture command outputs using tee like # yum upgrade | tee yumupgradeLog But, if I use tee command, I cannot respond to prompts like Is this ok : during command execution as shown below. Is there a way I could use tee and still be able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies
pamstack(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  pamstack(1)

NAME
pamstack - stack planes of multiple PAM images into one PAM image SYNOPSIS
pamstack [-tupletype tupletype] [inputfilespec] All options may be abbreviated to the shortest unique prefix. DESCRIPTION
Reads multiple PAM or PNM images as input. Produces a PAM image as output, consisting of all the planes (channels) of the inputs, stacked in the order specified. The output is the same dimensions as the inputs, except that the depth is the sum of the depths of the inputs. It has the same maxval. pamstack fails if the inputs are not all the same width, height, and maxval. The tuple type is a null string unless you specify the -tuple- type option. pamchannel does the opposite of pamstack: It extracts individual planes from a single PAM. Use pamtopnm to convert a suitable PAM image to a more traditional PNM (PBM, PGM, or PPM) image. One example of using pamstack is that some Netpbm programs accept as input a PAM that represents graphic image with transparency informa- tion -- tuple type "RGBA". In Netpbm, such images were traditionally represented as two images - a PPM for the color and a PGM for the transparency. To convert a PPM/PGM pair into PAM(RGBA) input that newer programs require, do something like this: pamstack -tupletype=RGBA myimage.ppm myalpha.pgm | pamtouil >myimage.uil OPTIONS
-tupletype tupletype This specified the tuple type name to be recorded in the output. You may use any string up to 255 characters. Some programs recog- nize some names. If you omit this option, the default tuple type name is null. SEE ALSO
pam(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) by Bryan Henderson, San Jose CA 2000.08.05 01 May 2002 pamstack(1)