Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mmap source
Operating Systems BSD Mmap source Post 302858477 by dcicc on Monday 30th of September 2013 01:43:25 PM
Old 09-30-2013
Mmap source

I'm new to kernels and C, and I am tinkering around trying to understand OpenBSD's secure memory management. I'm stumped on a couple points.

I've read up on malloc() which was apparently modified years ago to allocate memory using mmap. First question, that would be this here, right?

Code:
map_pages(size_t pages)
{
struct pdinfo *pi, *spi;
struct pginfo **pd;
u_long pidx,lidx;
void *result, *tail;
u_long index;

pages <<=malloc_pageshift;
result = MMAP(pages + malloc_guard);

For the life of me, I can't track down source code for mmap(). I know that this is a kernel system call, but where is that source? In particular, I'm interested to see how mmap() now returns a randomized location in memory.

Last edited by Scott; 09-30-2013 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mmap

Hello. I'm writing some random access i/o software on Solaris 8 using mmap64 to memory map large files (my test file is ~25 GB). The abbreviated code fragment is: fd = open(cbuf,O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE); struct stat statbuf; fstat(fd,&statbuf); off_t len =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusm
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

mmap failed

We recently have been seeing the following type of error on our development server. Being somewhat new to HP-UX I was hoping to get some insight. Here is what I have found. I have been doing some research. /usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap() failed - TEXT /u07/mdev/lib/libCLEND.sl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mmap and select

I'm using select() to monitor multiple file descriptors (inet sockets) in application. But this application must also collaborate with other applications on the same host via shared memory (mmap'ed file) due to performance reasons. How can I become notification that mmaped memory is changed or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hitori
1 Replies

4. Solaris

mmap() on 64 bit m/c

Dear Experts, i have a problem related to mmap(), when i run my program on sun for 64 bit which is throwing SIGBUS when it encounters mmap() function, what is the reason how to resolve this one, because it is working for 32 bit. with regards, vidya. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mmap()

how to use mmap() to map a file to memory space. Do you have any simple program???? Because I have to implement lot of concepts into it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokult
3 Replies

6. Programming

mmap()

how to use mmap() to map a file to memory space. Do you have any simple program???? Because I have to implement lot of concepts into it. (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

mmap

Descriptions: Develop a program that uses mmap() to map a file to memory space. Prepare such a file by yourself and do the follows. <LI class=MsoNormal>Display the content of the file after mapping; <LI class=MsoNormal>Output how many digits included in the file; <LI class=MsoNormal>Replace... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Programming

mmap

hai, How do we map 'n' number of files into memory by using mmap system call?? Thanks in advance...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding MMAP, MLOCK etc..

Hi I want to lock or prevent a portion of memory which I allocated. So I tried MLOCK, MPROTECT and some like this. But all these functions works only on page border. Can I know why that so. Is that possible to protect a portion of memory which is in middle of the page. Example. int A; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jionnet
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

mmap

I want to know whether this is possile or ever been tried out. I want to obtain a chuck of memory using mmap() I do it so : n = mmap(0, 8000, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0); And hold on to that memory, when a process requests for memory, some memory is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
2 Replies
getpagesize(3C) 					   Standard C Library Functions 					   getpagesize(3C)

NAME
getpagesize - get system page size SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int getpagesize(void); DESCRIPTION
The getpagesize() function returns the number of bytes in a page. Page granularity is the granularity of many of the memory management calls. The page size is a system page size and need not be the same as the underlying hardware page size. The getpagesize() function is equivalent to sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE) and sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE). See sysconf(3C). RETURN VALUES
The getpagesize() function returns the current page size. ERRORS
No errors are defined. USAGE
The value returned by getpagesize() need not be the minimum value that malloc(3C) can allocate. Moreover, the application cannot assume that an object of this size can be allocated with malloc(). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pagesize(1), brk(2), getrlimit(2), mmap(2), mprotect(2), munmap(2), malloc(3C), msync(3C), sysconf(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Jun 2000 getpagesize(3C)