Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to make entries background tasks in the table? Post 302854209 by alister on Tuesday 17th of September 2013 01:13:27 AM
Old 09-17-2013
How new can you be when you've been a member for over a year and this is your 60th post?

That aside, your question is too vague for any useful feedback.

If you are talking about shell scripting, you can "remember" a background job by saving the value of $!.

To stop it, use kill.

As to how to detect an "issue", you have provided insufficient information.

Regards,
Alister

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to make fixtures table with lynx --dump and pipe filters

Hey, I'm trying to make a nice clear table of fixtures. lynx --dump Fixtures & Reports | Fixtures | Arsenal.com | tail -n+360 | less #tail to remove 1st 360 line I'm trying to remove the 'Add to Calendar' bit next I tried pipping through sed but not sure if I did it right sed 's/\Add... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 64mb
3 Replies

4. Solaris

how do i make a route entry permanent in the routing table on solaris 8?

how do I make sure that the entry in the routing table on Solaris 8 stay permanent after rebooting the server. For example route add 172.20.1.60 -netmask 255.255.255.0 172.20.255.253 Each time the server reboots the entry disappears when using the command netstat -nr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background tasks in a loop (bash)

I am trying to use a loop to start tasks 0-3, running 0,1,2 in the background with &. FOLDSET=( 0 1 2 3 ) for FOLDSET in ${FOLDSET} do if ; then BACKGRD="&" else BACKGRD="" fi # start task $FOLDSET task1 -nogui -ni -p $PROJ \ epochs=$EPOS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to make a table from Named Variables.

I need a shell script to make a table from Named Variables Input File(Can have multiple lines): a=1,b=2,d=4,e=5 a=11,b=12,c=13,d=14 Output file: a,b,c,d,e 1,2,,4,5 11,12,13,14, Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shariramani
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check background tasks status, if fail report

Hi, I have a requirement where I want to submit appx 100 jobs based on the files received. Assume today I received source file for 50 jobs, then I have submit a common script at 50 times. This common script will take appx 1-2 mins to finish. I can' complete my parent script untill all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meetvipin
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build a table from a list by comparing existing table entries

I am new to this shell scripting.... I have a file which contains list of users. This files get updated when new user comes into the system. I want to create script which will give a table containing unique list of users. When I say unique, it means script should match table while parsing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchavan1901
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a table from a text file

Hi, I have a pipe separated text file. Can some someone tell me how to convert it to a table? Text File contents. |Activities|Status1|Status2|Status3| ||NA|$io_running2|$io_running3| |Replication Status|NA|$running2|$running3| ||NA|$master2|$master3|... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocky88
1 Replies
HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)						File Formats Manual					       HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)

NAME
hobbitlaunch.cfg - Task definitions for the hobbitlaunch utility SYNOPSIS
~xymon/server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg DESCRIPTION
The hobbitlaunch.cfg file holds the list of tasks that hobbitlaunch runs to perform all of the tasks needed by the Xymon monitor. FILE FORMAT
A task is defined by a key, a command, and optionally also interval, environment, and logfile. Blank lines and lines starting with a hash mark (#) are treated as comments and ignored. Long lines can be broken up by putting a back- slash at the end of the line and continuing the entry on the next line. An entry looks like this: [hobbitd] ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/bin/hobbitd [updateweb] ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/bin/bbgen NEEDS hobbitd GROUP webupdates INTERVAL 5m ONHOST localhost MAXTIME 10m LOGFILE /var/log/xymon/updateweb.log The key is enclosed in angle brackets, and must be unique for each task. You can choose your key-names as you like, they are only used internally in hobbitlaunch to identify each task. The command is defined by the CMD keyword. This is the full command including any options you want to use for this task. This is required for all tasks. The DISABLED keyword means that this command is disabled. hobbitlaunch will not start this task. It is recommended that you use this to disable standard tasks, instead of removing them or commenting them out. Upgrades to Xymon will add standard tasks back into the file, so unless you have them listed as DISABLED then tasks may re-appear unexpectedly after an upgrade. The ONHOST keyword tells hobbitlaunch that this task should only run on specific hosts. After the ONHOST keyword, you must provide a "regu- lar expression"; if the hostname where hobbitlaunch runs matches this expression, then the task will run. If it doesn't match, then the task is treated as if it were DISABLED. The MAXTIME keyword sets a maximum time that the task may run; if exceeded, hobbitlaunch will kill the task. The time is in seconds by default, you can specify minutes, hours or days by adding an "m", "h" or "d" after the number. By default there is no upper limit on how long a taskmay run. The NEEDS instructs hobbitlaunch not to run this task unless the task defined by the NEEDS keyword is already running. This is used e.g. to delay the start of some application until the needed daemons have been started. The task that must be running is defined by its key. The GROUP keyword can be used to limit the number of tasks that may run simultaneously. E.g. if you are generating multiple pagesets of webpages, you dont want them to run at the same time. Putting them into a GROUP will cause hobbitlaunch to delay the start of new tasks, so that only one task will run per group. You can change the limit by defining the group before the tasks, with a "GROUP groupname max- tasks" line. The INTERVAL keyword defines how often this command is executed. The example shows a command that runs every 5 minutes. If no interval is given, the task is only run once - this is useful for tasks that run continually as daemons - although if the task stops for some reason, then hobbitlaunch will attempt to restart it. Intervals can be specified in seconds (if you just put a number there), or in minutes (5m), hours (2h), or days (1d). The ENVFILE setting points to a file with definitions of environment variables. Before running the task, hobbitlaunch will setup all of the environment variables listed in this file. Since this is a per-task setting, you can use the same hobbitlaunch instance to run e.g. both the server- and client-side Xymon tasks. If this option is not present, then the environment defined to hobbitlaunch is used. The ENVAREA setting modifies which environment variables are loaded, by picking up the ones that are defined for this specific "area". See hobbitserver.cfg(5) for information about environment areas. The LOGFILE setting defines a logfile for the task. hobbitlaunch will start the task with stdout and stderr redirected to this file. If this option is not present, then the output goes to the same location as the hobbitlaunch output. SEE ALSO
hobbitlaunch(8), hobbitd(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)