Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getopts how to handle missing '-' in command line args. Post 302853959 by Corona688 on Monday 16th of September 2013 11:47:41 AM
Old 09-16-2013
How is it supposed to tell the difference between a missing -, and a filename named 'x' that the user wants to enter? What if the user really does want to enter a file named x? It can't, its ambiguous.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

required command line args

Hello, How do I make a command line argument required using getopts? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
6 Replies

2. Programming

Command line args

My program usage takes the form for example; $ theApp 2 "one or more words" i.e. 3 command line arguments; application name, an integer, some text My code includes the following 4 lines: int anInteger; char words; sscanf(argv, "%d", &anInteger); sscanf(argv, "%s", &message); Based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args

I am trying to print command line arguments one per second. I have this while do echo "6" shift echo "5" shift echo "4" shift echo "3" shift echo "2" shift echo "1" shift done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args 2

I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence and it printed the value of $1 after every number. I don't want that I just want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve command line args one by on.

Hi, I have to store all the command line arguments into an array. I have the following code. ********************** #! /bin/sh set -A arr_no_updates i=1 while do arr_no_updates=$($i) echo ${arr_no_updates} i=$(($i+1)) done**************** (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
1 Replies

6. Programming

how to handle SQL exceptions to call script having args via java ?

Hi, i want to call shell script via java + in that shell script i m doing some sql operation by connecting to sqlplus . i want to return 0 if successful exeution of SQL operations else 1 ; is it possible ? #!/bin/sh Name=$1; export ORACLE_HOME $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send a function all command line args?

I have this code, I thought it would automatically know the args sent to script when called from shell. But it seems to not see any... main script: . args . errors . opt . clean dbfile="" opfile="" # calls function in script below chkarg #check commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gcampton
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line args in unix

Hi, i have a perl script named test.pl. It is executed as cat *.log|test.pl i need the complete command line args. I tried using basename $0 but im getting test.pl only but not cat *.log... Can anyone help me on this. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Cut | command line args

Hi, Can you please hint me how to achieve the below? Input: $./script.sh start 1 2 Internally inside the script i want to set a single variable with $2 and $3 value? Output: CMD=$1 ARGS=$2 $3 --VInodh (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
named-checkconf(1M)					  System Administration Commands				       named-checkconf(1M)

NAME
named-checkconf - named configuration file syntax checking tool SYNOPSIS
named-checkconf [-v] [-t directory] filename DESCRIPTION
The named-checkconf utility checks the syntax, but not the semantics, of a named configuration file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -t directory Change the root directory to directory so that include directives in the configuration file are processed as if run by a named configuration whose root directory has been similarly changed. -v Print the version of the named-checkconf program and exit. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the configuration file to be checked. If not specified, it defaults to /etc/named.conf. EXIT STATUS
0 No errors were detected. 1 An error was detected. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWbind9 | |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
named(1M), named.conf(4), attributes(5) BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual NOTES
Source for BIND9 is available in the SUNWbind9S package. SunOS 5.10 15 Dec 2004 named-checkconf(1M)