Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Pring starting and ending numbers using UNIX Post 302853901 by jackbell2013 on Monday 16th of September 2013 10:45:24 AM
Old 09-16-2013
Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply...

Yes this is for my UNIX class work. my teacher ask me to do some scripts.so i try this but i struck....

Input will not be arranged as above it be in any kind of order and we ll use sort command to sort in wanted format..

No, my input digit is up to 0 to 12 digits some time..
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Homework can only be posted in the Homework & Coursework Questions Forum and must include your full school name, professor, and course number. Please refile this request in the Homework & Coursework Questions Forum.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Homework violation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

After executing a exe file, gdb pring many 'VT102', what does this mean?

(gdb)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdbug
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: reg.expr: combine starting and ending removal in one exprecion

Hello, I am new in perl and in regular exprecion; so I am looking for help (or an experienced advise.) The target is a triming spaces from a string: i.e., remove spases from begining and from end of a string. One of main point of a searched solution is performance: for current task it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines not starting with numbers with sed

Title says all :p Thanks for your help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in retrieving the ending line numbers of the functions

Hi! I've a C file which consist of many function definitions with numbers at the beginning as shown below.. 10 void search() 11 { 12 /*body 14 * 15 * 17 * 18 * 40 * 42 * 60 } 90 void func_name() 95 { 99 /*body 100 * 105 * 111 * (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement to check files with different ending but same starting name

I am trying to check if files staring with filename but ending with diffent dates e.g. filename.2011-10-25. The code I am using is below if It works find only if one file is present but returns binary operator expected when there are mulptiple files. Please help me correcting it. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files ending in numbers with "sort"

I have a group of files that I need to be sorted by number. I have tried to use the sort command without any luck. ls includes* includes1 includes10 includes11 includes12 includes2 includes3 includes4 includes5 includes6 includes7 includes8 includes9 I have tried ls includes*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove '.' from file for numbers ending in '.'

Hi, I have numerous files which have data in the following format A|B|123.|Mr.|45.66|33|zz L|16.|33.45|AC.|45. I want to remove decimal point only if it is last character in a number. O/p should be A|B|123|Mr.|45.66|33|zz L|16|33.45|AC.|45 I tried this sed -e 's/.|/|/g' Problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text to column starting/ending with special character in each row

Hello, Here is my text data excerpted from the webpage: input My target is to get: What i tried is: sed 's/.*\(connector\)/1/' input > output but all characters coming before the word "connector" are deleted which is not good for me. My question: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for words starting and ending with

im trying to search for a WORD in a file which begins with a number followed by a hypen follwed multiple words and end with a dot "." and pront the entire line which matches the above. Please note that there is a space at the begining of each line i/p file 19458 00000-CONTROL-PARA.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
5 Replies
sort(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 sort(3pm)

NAME
sort - perl pragma to control sort() behaviour SYNOPSIS
use sort 'stable'; # guarantee stability use sort '_quicksort'; # use a quicksort algorithm use sort '_mergesort'; # use a mergesort algorithm use sort 'defaults'; # revert to default behavior no sort 'stable'; # stability not important use sort '_qsort'; # alias for quicksort my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current(); # identify prevailing algorithm } DESCRIPTION
With the "sort" pragma you can control the behaviour of the builtin "sort()" function. In Perl versions 5.6 and earlier the quicksort algorithm was used to implement "sort()", but in Perl 5.8 a mergesort algorithm was also made available, mainly to guarantee worst case O(N log N) behaviour: the worst case of quicksort is O(N**2). In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort defends against quadratic behaviour by shuffling large arrays before sorting. A stable sort means that for records that compare equal, the original input ordering is preserved. Mergesort is stable, quicksort is not. Stability will matter only if elements that compare equal can be distinguished in some other way. That means that simple numerical and lexical sorts do not profit from stability, since equal elements are indistinguishable. However, with a comparison such as { substr($a, 0, 3) cmp substr($b, 0, 3) } stability might matter because elements that compare equal on the first 3 characters may be distinguished based on subsequent characters. In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort can be stabilized, but doing so will add overhead, so it should only be done if it matters. The best algorithm depends on many things. On average, mergesort does fewer comparisons than quicksort, so it may be better when complicated comparison routines are used. Mergesort also takes advantage of pre-existing order, so it would be favored for using "sort()" to merge several sorted arrays. On the other hand, quicksort is often faster for small arrays, and on arrays of a few distinct values, repeated many times. You can force the choice of algorithm with this pragma, but this feels heavy-handed, so the subpragmas beginning with a "_" may not persist beyond Perl 5.8. The default algorithm is mergesort, which will be stable even if you do not explicitly demand it. But the stability of the default sort is a side-effect that could change in later versions. If stability is important, be sure to say so with a use sort 'stable'; The "no sort" pragma doesn't forbid what follows, it just leaves the choice open. Thus, after no sort qw(_mergesort stable); a mergesort, which happens to be stable, will be employed anyway. Note that no sort "_quicksort"; no sort "_mergesort"; have exactly the same effect, leaving the choice of sort algorithm open. CAVEATS
As of Perl 5.10, this pragma is lexically scoped and takes effect at compile time. In earlier versions its effect was global and took effect at run-time; the documentation suggested using "eval()" to change the behaviour: { eval 'use sort qw(defaults _quicksort)'; # force quicksort eval 'no sort "stable"'; # stability not wanted print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } { eval 'use sort qw(defaults stable)'; # force stability print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } Such code no longer has the desired effect, for two reasons. Firstly, the use of "eval()" means that the sorting algorithm is not changed until runtime, by which time it's too late to have any effect. Secondly, "sort::current" is also called at run-time, when in fact the compile-time value of "sort::current" is the one that matters. So now this code would be written: { use sort qw(defaults _quicksort); # force quicksort no sort "stable"; # stability not wanted my $current; BEGIN { $current = print sort::current; } print "$current "; @a = sort @b; # Pragmas go out of scope at the end of the block } { use sort qw(defaults stable); # force stability my $current; BEGIN { $current = print sort::current; } print "$current "; @c = sort @d; } perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 sort(3pm)