Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rename folder
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename folder Post 302853629 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 15th of September 2013 01:55:32 PM
Old 09-15-2013
@mhs: Please do not leave people guessing. Show a representative sample of input, desired output, attempts at a solution and specify what OS and versions being used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename files in a folder

i have a folder that contains 100's of files: abc, bca, def, ghi.... i want to rename abc with 1, bca with 2, def with 3, ghi with 4 and so on. my way, i create a file.txt with contents: 1 2 3 4 i use while loop to rename my files. without using file.txt, i just want to rename abc with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename all the files in a folder..

Hi Guys, I have 5000 files in a folder. all are .DAT files. I want to rename them as .TXT files. I tried the following command. mv *.DAT *. TXT But it is throwing an error. Can you please tell me what am i doing wrong. Thanks & Regards, Magesh. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename folder based on containing XML file

Hi everyone. I'm in need of a solution where i need to rename a folder to a name that's inside an XML file in that folder. OS is Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome. I've tried using grep, sed and xpath, but can't seem to find a solution. This is the simplified folder structure: FOLDER-NAME -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoolCow
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from folder and rename them

hello, I need to build a shell script that receives the folder to copy by parameter and copy all files except thumb.db to another folder and rename them like, file.jpg renamed to file_bb1.jpg. can someone help me Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeker
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Command to rename a file in a zipped folder

Hi, I am into automation work. Is there any UNIX command to rename a file in a zipped folder, without unzipping it..??? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Victoria.Sam
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Vim or Ex to rename all files in a folder

Is there a way to use Vim or Ex to rename all files in a folder? For example if i have a folder with Apples1.txt, Apples2.txt, Apples3.txt, could I rename all files so they are Oranges1.txt, Oranges2.txt, Oranges3.txt ? I know with :bufdo %s/apples/oranges/g|update you can do this for inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VimNewUser
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename all files within a folder...

Hi. I don't have any experience with making scripts in bash. I need a simple script to rename all files in a folder to the format file1.avi, file2.avi, file3.avi, and so on..... Please note that the original files have different filenames and different extensions. But they all need to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranzer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in a folder - please help with script

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and stuck on renaming files in a folder. The files have the format chp01_00001.wav chp01_00002.wav .... chp02_00001.wav chp02_00002.wav .... but I want them to have the following names: chp_bloomy_00001.wav chp_bloomy_00002.wav chp_bloomy_00003.wav... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping through files, doing something, and rename in new folder

Hi, I'm really new at this but have several hundred files that i need to do something with and save with a new name. The files are 26 columns wide. I want to select some for renaming. I've figured out what to do to each file ("file-1.CSV"| grep -v "=" | cut -f 1-4,9,14,15,18,19,20,21,22,24,26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob101
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename all files and folder containing underscore?

I want to rename all files and folder containing underscore in name and replace underscore with hyphen. Currently I am using following code, rename '_' '-' */*/* It was working but now it is showing me "Argument list too long" Please help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: opticalpigion
2 Replies
SoXI(1) 							  Sound eXchange							   SoXI(1)

NAME
SoXI - Sound eXchange Information, display sound file metadata SYNOPSIS
soxi [-V[level]] [-T] [-t|-r|-c|-s|-d|-D|-b|-B|-e|-a] infile1 ... DESCRIPTION
Displays information from the header of a given audio file or files. Supported audio file types are listed and described in soxformat(7). Note however, that soxi is intended for use only with audio files with a self-describing header. By default, as much information as is available is shown. An option may be given to select just a single piece of information (perhaps for use in a script or batch-file). OPTIONS
-V Set verbosity. See sox(1) for details. -T Used with multiple files; changes the behaviour of -s, -d and -D to display the total across all given files. Note that when used with -s with files with different sampling rates, this is of questionable value. -t Show detected file-type. -r Show sample-rate. -c Show number of channels. -s Show number of samples (0 if unavailable). -d Show duration in hours, minutes and seconds (0 if unavailable). Equivalent to number of samples divided by the sample-rate. -D Show duration in seconds (0 if unavailable). -b Show number of bits per sample. -B Show the bitrate averaged over the whole file (0 if unavailable). -e Show the name of the audio encoding. -a Show file comments (annotations) if available. BUGS
Please report any bugs found in this version of SoX to the mailing list (sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net). SEE ALSO
sox(1), soxformat(7), libsox(3) The SoX web site at http://sox.sourceforge.net LICENSE
Copyright 2008-9 by Chris Bagwell and SoX Contributors. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. AUTHORS
Chris Bagwell (cbagwell@users.sourceforge.net). Other authors and contributors are listed in the ChangeLog file that is distributed with the source code. soxi June 14, 2009 SoXI(1)