Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check variable Post 302853573 by JPad on Sunday 15th of September 2013 10:05:38 AM
Old 09-15-2013
but i get a error message

Code:
./startscript.sh: 76: [: missing ]
./startscript.sh 80: cd: can't cd to TYPE_YOUR_PATH

and then execute the script my commands

Last edited by Scott; 09-15-2013 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if variable is a number

If I have a variable $X, how do I check it is a number? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check parameter variable?

Hello All, I have a script that will email out if the email address is specified as parameter 1. I am using ksh, and then tried the following : email=$1 Following did not work, I am getting error test -z $email test ${email:=" ") -eq " " test -n $email test ${?email} What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a variable contains a .

Hi I am writing a bash script and would like to check is a variable contains a . or not ex. a=102 output ok a=1.02 output not ok Many thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gekkos
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a variable is not affected

Hi all, to check that a variable is not empty, I usually do: if ; then... or if ; then... what if I have a serie of variables and want to do the same test on all of them. How to do this in a single if statement? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check the value of a string variable

hi to all, i want to check the value of a variable that it contains characters. for example i try the following: if then ......... i just want to check that in the specific line that is a variable called "passline" has the entry "password". But it can contain also other characters in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is zero

I have seen many posts for this sort of problem but I just did not know how to use it for my issue. A number is assigned to a variable and I wanted to check if it is a zero or non zero. Example of my numbers are below: 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujiv
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the value of a variable

#!/bin/sh echo "Running Script to capture ORACLE Erros" # Change Directory to the actual logs path cd /home/nv8510/lognew err_var=`grep -in "ORA-" *` if then echo "THESE ARE THE ORACLE ERROR OCCURED" echo "$err_var" echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is having value

I have a script /root/asas with following contents. #!/bin/bash ha=`cat /etc/passwd | grep sandra` if ; then echo "Sandra is in /etc/passwd" echo "variable ha is $ha" else echo "Sandra is NOT in /etc/passwd" echo "variable ha is $ha" fi What... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether a variable is empty or contains some value?

hi, i want to check whether a a variable contains some value or is empty in a shell script. so if the variable contains some value i want to do some job and if the variable doesnt contain any value then i need to skip that job. here is a sample script read_filenames.sh contains ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)