Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check variable Post 302853551 by JPad on Sunday 15th of September 2013 07:19:18 AM
Old 09-15-2013
Check variable

Hi people,

I would like to start a review of my config variable to check whether they have been changed and if not then there is only an echo. If they have been changed to my other commands are executed.

I hope you can help me.

with best regards

JPad

edit:

here my code

Code:
if [ "$USER" == "TYPE_YOUR_USERNAME" ]; then
echo "please edit the config"
else 
my commands
fi

Last edited by JPad; 09-15-2013 at 09:41 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if variable is a number

If I have a variable $X, how do I check it is a number? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check parameter variable?

Hello All, I have a script that will email out if the email address is specified as parameter 1. I am using ksh, and then tried the following : email=$1 Following did not work, I am getting error test -z $email test ${email:=" ") -eq " " test -n $email test ${?email} What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a variable contains a .

Hi I am writing a bash script and would like to check is a variable contains a . or not ex. a=102 output ok a=1.02 output not ok Many thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gekkos
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a variable is not affected

Hi all, to check that a variable is not empty, I usually do: if ; then... or if ; then... what if I have a serie of variables and want to do the same test on all of them. How to do this in a single if statement? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check the value of a string variable

hi to all, i want to check the value of a variable that it contains characters. for example i try the following: if then ......... i just want to check that in the specific line that is a variable called "passline" has the entry "password". But it can contain also other characters in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is zero

I have seen many posts for this sort of problem but I just did not know how to use it for my issue. A number is assigned to a variable and I wanted to check if it is a zero or non zero. Example of my numbers are below: 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujiv
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the value of a variable

#!/bin/sh echo "Running Script to capture ORACLE Erros" # Change Directory to the actual logs path cd /home/nv8510/lognew err_var=`grep -in "ORA-" *` if then echo "THESE ARE THE ORACLE ERROR OCCURED" echo "$err_var" echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable is having value

I have a script /root/asas with following contents. #!/bin/bash ha=`cat /etc/passwd | grep sandra` if ; then echo "Sandra is in /etc/passwd" echo "variable ha is $ha" else echo "Sandra is NOT in /etc/passwd" echo "variable ha is $ha" fi What... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether a variable is empty or contains some value?

hi, i want to check whether a a variable contains some value or is empty in a shell script. so if the variable contains some value i want to do some job and if the variable doesnt contain any value then i need to skip that job. here is a sample script read_filenames.sh contains ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)