Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Select the ranodm percent of the line in the data set Post 302853491 by sajmar on Saturday 14th of September 2013 02:46:08 PM
Old 09-14-2013
Select the ranodm percent of the line in the data set

Hello ;
I have a file which has one column with 7200 ID. These line have been repeated for certain of these ID. for example, ID number 200 repeated 3 times, ID number 201 repeated 2 times and etc. How could I select 20% of the ID numbers randomly without repetition?

Regards
Sajjad

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture two set of data to same line...simple

I would like to capture output from two commands to a test file on the same line... I want to get a file with all Applications and the Version of it...here are the two commands I use to get the output. To get Application list I use ls -1 /Applications/ |grep .app >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a csh script, can I set a variable to the result of an SQLPLUS select query?

Can someone tell me why I'm getting error when I try to run this? #!/bin/csh -f source ~/.cshrc # set SQLPLUS = ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus # set count=`$SQLPLUS -s ${DB_LOGIN} << END select count(1) from put_groups where group_name='PC' and description='EOD_EVENT' and serial_number=1;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregrobinsonhd
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

select data from list

Hi! My data file contains a two columns list. It looks like: 1 3.789 2 6.789 3 7.890 4 8.900 5 6.789 6 1.987 7 10.987 8 2.987 9 0.987 I would like to create a new list using the awk command, just selecting data from the second column but also printing the first column. Let say I select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cris48
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines in which column have value greater than some percent of total file lines

i have a file in following format 1 32 3 4 6 4 4 45 1 45 4 61 54 66 4 5 65 51 56 65 1 12 32 85 now here the total number of lines are 8(they vary each time) Now i want to select only those lines in which the values... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select data from a file

Hi , I want to select data from a file .the datas in a file will be in both upper and lower case. can able to select particular data using awk. file is like Ram Selva 24332 UNIXTEAM Karthi Siva 43322 UNIXTEAM In read if i enter selva as lowercase its not displaying result. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopal
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line / script option to filter a data set by values of one column

Hi all! I have a data set in this tab separated format : Label, Value1, Value2 An instance is "data.txt" : 0 1 1 -1 2 3 0 2 2 I would like to parse this data set and generate two files, one that has only data with the label 0 and the other with label -1, so my outputs should be, for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnat01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Filter a set of data to parse header line and last field of multiple same match.

Hi Experts, I have a data with multiple entry , I want to filter PKG= & the last column "00060110" or "00088150" in the output file: ############################################################################################### PKG= P8SDB :: VGS = vgP8SOra vgP8SDB1 vgP8S001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to select data from file

Hello all, Once again I need to call upon the masters for help. I have a file called endpoint_data. IN that file I have groups of endpoints. However all I need from the file is this.... ENDPOINT NAME = SIPWOODSBC SIG PRI FQDN/IP ADDRESS/DOMAIN NAME = 10.xxx.xxx.xxx SIG SEC... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to select 2D data bins

I wish to use AWK to do something akin: Select all 2D data with 1<$1<2 and -7.5<$2<-6.5 But it's not working awk 'END {print ($1<=2&&$1>=1&&$2<=-6.5&&$2>=-7.5)}' bla Data: -1.06897 -8.04482 -61.469 -1.13613 -8.04482 -61.2271 -1.00182 -8.04482 -61.2081 -1.06897 -8.13518 -60.8544... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
2 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. DIAGNOSTICS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD