Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Grep --byte-offset not returning the offset (Grep version 2.5.1) Post 302853437 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 14th of September 2013 10:17:04 AM
Old 09-14-2013
Could it be that the 2.5.1 version is BSD grep? What is the output of
Code:
grep --version

In GNU grep 2.14 and 2.6.3 I get:
Code:
4:cat
16:cat
24:cat
44:cat

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-14-2013 at 11:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Accessing substrings by offset and length

Hi, I have a simple question... In C do we have a standard library function which will return the pointer to a substring at certain offset and having certain length... Ofcourse we should take care not to access beyond allocated length in the parent string and don't overwrite beyond allocated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

offset - informix chunk

Hello all, I am trying to add chunks to my informix dataspace. I have one dataspace ( the rootdbs ) and the new chunk is a raw device. Precisely slice1 on my new external harddisk. The question is, what should be the offset value. The document says, the offset is used by the engine to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a file from a specified offset

Hi, I want to read a file from a specified offset from the start of file. With the read command, is it possible to do so. Please suggest. Is there any other alternative? Thanks, Saurabh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
2 Replies

4. Programming

Negative Offset

Function: int fcntl(int fd, int cmd, struct flock * lock) Data Type: struct flock This structure is used with the fcntl function to describe a file lock. It has these members: off_t l_start This specifies the offset of the start of the region to which the lock applies, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to calculate offset value to mb value in vxvm

root@erpqas# vxdg -g sap_dg free DISK DEVICE TAG OFFSET LENGTH FLAGS sapdisk3 c1t10d0s2 c1t10d0 15707513 2869 - sapdisk3 c1t10d0s2 c1t10d0 71080956 43335 - sapdisk5 c1t12d0s2 c1t12d0 70321149 803142 - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
1 Replies

6. Solaris

NTP client offset

How to add offset to NTP client so that, for eg., clock is -20 seconds? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail with positive offset

I have read the below from the book bash cookbook.Tail +1 filenames is similar to cat filename I have tried the same in Ubuntu 11.10 with bash. 4.0 . I have received error for the Same. May I know in which system that will work fine ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Compressed byte offset from .gz file

Hi , I have a .gz file whose contents look like below. data1^filename1 data2^filename2. .. . . Is it possible to find out the byte offset of each record from the .gz file. Like in an uncompressed file. grep -nb "Filename" give the byte offset of the record in this case. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get GMT Offset for a specific date?

How can I get GMT offset from EST for a particular date(not current date) in unix. For example, user enters date as: 2012-06-25D11:49:37, this is GMT. I have to calculate GMT offset from EST in unix for this input. Thanks in advance. -Steve (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File name offset

Dear all, I want to offset the file numbers. can you please make some awk code or linux code for the same. Example: input file names ANI_WFMASS_PIST00001.gif ANI_WFMASS_PIST00002.gif . . . ANI_WFMASS_PIST0000n.gif offset --> 30 ANI_WFMASS_PIST00031.gif ANI_WFMASS_PIST00032.gif... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri321shna
14 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)