Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting No. of underscores in a file name Post 302853097 by wisecracker on Friday 13th of September 2013 08:02:28 AM
Old 09-13-2013
A longhand version using an OSX 10.7.5 terminal...
Code:
Last login: Fri Sep 13 12:52:40 on ttys000
AMIGA:barrywalker~> text="a_b_c"; count=0; for n in $( seq 0 1 ${#text} ); do if [ "${text:$n:1}" == "_" ]; then count=$[ ( $count + 1 ) ]; fi; done; echo""; echo "Underscores = $count"

Underscores = 2
AMIGA:barrywalker~> _

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change spaces to underscores script !!!

Hi everybody! Im not good in scripting and I need a script to take all the files with spaces in their names and change it to underscores. alice cooper.mp3 >> alice_cooper.mp3 Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting to convert underscores to spaces

Greetings, I have a bunch of music files that I want to strip the underscores out, and leave only spaces. All that I've found on the web is how to add underscores to files that have spaces, and reversing the "tr" command does not make a difference. Here is how to convert spaces to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brakeb
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string from file name between two underscores

Hi, Here is my question, I need to extract string between two underscores from the filename for example, filename is atmos_8xdaily_instant_300x300_1_12.nc what I want to extract is 300x300. There are many such files in my directory, so I guess the code should be like: for file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1988PF
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find no of underscores in a variable?

Hi i have a variable var=a_b_c i want command to find no. of underscores in a variable Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending "_" (underscores) to variable names

Hello, I have a file, inputs.list that contain prefixes to files that are inputs for a program inputs.list A B C D E ... My files are of the format A_1, A_2, B_1, B_2 and so on. I am planning to run a shell script that takes each line from the above file and feed it to the runProg.sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate data with varying amounts of underscores?

All, I've searched and haven't found a solution for my particular issue. I have a file with lines of data that contain varying amounts of underscores imbedded. But all the strings have a final underscore and an interface name: dmk_hcn_dalian2.XXXX.XXX.XX.COM_Se0/0/0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: turk22
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with underscores up to first comma but not after the comma

I have a comma delimited file of major codes and descriptions. I want to replace all occurrences of spaces with underscores up to the first comma (only in the first field), but not replace spaces following the comma. For instance I have the following snippet of the file: EK ED,Elementary and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdouty
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
popen(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  popen(3)

Name
       popen, pclose - initiate I/O to/from a process

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

FILE *popen(command, type)
       char *command, *type;

pclose(stream)
       FILE *stream;

Description
       The arguments to are pointers to null-terminated strings containing respectively a shell command line and an I/O mode, either "r" for read-
       ing or "w" for writing.	It creates a pipe between the calling process and the command to be executed.  The  value  returned  is  a  stream
       pointer that can be used (as appropriate) to write to the standard input of the command or read from its standard output.

A stream opened by should be closed by which waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the exit status of the command.

Because open files are shared, a type "r" command may be used as an input filter, and a type "w" as an output filter.

Diagnostics
       The routine returns a null pointer if files or processes cannot be created, or the shell cannot be accessed.

The routine returns -1 if stream is not associated with a `popened' command.

Restrictions
       Buffered reading before opening an input filter may leave the standard input of that filter mispositioned.  Similar problems with an output
       filter may be forestalled by careful buffer flushing, for instance, with For further information, see

The routine always calls and never calls

See Also
       sh(1), pipe(2), wait(2), system(3), fclose(3s), fopen(3s)

popen(3)