Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk one liners into a nice script Post 302852671 by batka on Thursday 12th of September 2013 06:18:56 AM
Old 09-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajesuri
You mean cosmetically good looking ???
Yes! Smilie

A nice script, those 4 lines into a "big" script.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Turn perl one-liners into full perl script?

I have the following command prompt perl one liner: perl -e 's/\(\)\\,\"]//g; s/^\s//g; s/;/\n/g' -pi result1 I tried to move this one liner into a perl script I am practicing with (just started learning perl right now). I tried the following (I only know how to open a file and output to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EDALBNUG
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

KSH script help needed ( nice error trap routine ?)

I am running a script that runs a loop and executes a command on ${i} until the end of the for loop. From time to time the command generates an error ( which is good) for example ERROR0005: How can I trap the error and send an email echoing the ${i} variable in the loop and the error ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - one liners

Guys, I have a requirement like this. A file has >5K records always. Separated by "|", it has 30 fields for each line. In some lines, I am getting an odd field. say, the 15th field is supposed to be 2 characters but comes in as >2. In this case, for resolving this I need to copy the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set nice value in an executable in a script?

Is it possible to set a nice value for an executable in a script so that every time the executable runs it has this nice value? I'm trying to set aerender (After Effects terminal renderer) to run at +18 by replacing the original aerender script with a bash script with something like this in it: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Those simple one liners

I wanted to say LOL and punch my face when I saw post#11 (where Don_Cragun even reduced the string manipulation with a simple regex) in the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/220553-add-0-start-filename-2.html I mean, when things can be done with just a one liner, sometimes I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

7. AIX

Useful and nice script for AIX,but outdated

How can I quickly see disk usage for my entire system? - IBM: AIX FAQ - Tek-Tips I tried it on aix7.1with ./script -dand give me VG PV size used free location Description rootvg 128 397 149 rootvg 128 212 334 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)