Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Command To Delete Number from Array Post 302852647 by pmurray21 on Thursday 12th of September 2013 04:52:37 AM
Old 09-12-2013
Bash Command To Delete Number from Array

Hi,

I am writing a script to split a log file - the log could contain multiple days worth of logs. The second line of the log contains the string "Version ". In my test log which comprises of two days worth of logs, this string appears twice - once each day.

Essentially I would like to split on the line before this line, unfortunately there is nothing unique in it. The script thus far gets the line number that "Version " is on and populates an array. My problem is....I am not sure how to subtract one from each array element. The main part of my code looks like this:

Code:
IFS=$'\n'
arr=($(grep -n "Version " $filename))
arr=("${arr[@]%%:*}")
unset IFS
for i in "${arr[@]}"
do
  echo "${arr[a]}"
  csplit -f $filename $filename $i &>/dev/null
  rm -f $filename'00'
done
exit 1;

I delete the file ending in 00 currently as a hack because it currently splits on line 2, so that log actually only contains one line. And the result from the echo is:
Code:
2 1177299

So in this instance from my one log, I want to create two logs - the second log will begin on line 1177298

Thoughts on how to do this, or a better way to achieve it?

Cheers

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

display the actual number of bash command interpreter

Hello everybody! I have a problem "Write script, which will display the actual number of bash command interpreter, working in the operating system." I used ps command to list all process running in the system but I don't know how to select only bash command interpreter. Pls give me some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguyendu0102
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to delete file input on command line

1) I wrote a script and gave the desired permissions using "chmod 755 scriptname". Now if i edit the script file, why do i need to set the permission again? Didn't i set the permission attribute.. or if i edit the file, does the inode number of file changes? 2) I am running my unix on a server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animesharma
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Loading a command's output line by line into an array

I have been trying this a lot of different ways and haven't found too much online. Here's what I've got so far: j=0 declare -a first zero=(`cat $tmpfile`) for i in "${zero}" do command $i >> "${first}" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines above a certin line number in bash shell

Hi, I have written a script that returns the line number of the pattern i want and i stored the line number in a variable(getlinenumber).Now i want to delete all the lines in a file above this line number which is stored in a variable. i am using sed '1,$getlinenumberd' > file1.txt which is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines above a certin line number in bash shell

Hi, I have written a script that returns the line number of the pattern i want and i stored the line number in a variable.Now i want to delete all the lines in a file above this line number which is stored in a variable. i am using sed '1,$getlinenumberd' > file1.txt which is not working(wrog... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

8. Programming

Bash script - find command with delete and exec

hi all, i have devised a script that starts in /restored/ and in there, there are a lot of sub folders called peoples names and in the sub folders are files/folders and it deletes the data in the sub folders BUT not the sub folder itself and it should then touch a file in all the sub folders... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need a Bash script for iterating thru an array and running a command

Hi , I am a total beginner so bear with me. I have the below code which works . I need to extend it by iterating thru the array arr and executing a command in each loop. some thing on the lines of below. I need to run this in a Jenkins script , so I would need below bash script to run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SVRao19056
6 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)