Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Schedule backup with crontab/tar Post 302851371 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 8th of September 2013 11:56:18 AM
Old 09-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfair
I understood that you were proposing saving the tarball in the same directory that you were tarring.
And I understood there is no such problem: directory /cygdrive/c/users/float/Important/ backed up to the separate file /cygdrive/c/users/float/Important.tar
And the tar command directly run from cron - quite okay.

---------- Post updated at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:31 AM ----------

You obviously are struggling with a kind of vi editor.
It has got two modes. It starts in command mode, where cursor keys work and commands like :wq can be done. With the i key you enter the insert mode. With the Esc key you return to command mode.
More help:
Code:
man vi

Or google for: vi quick reference

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 09-08-2013 at 12:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab schedule - first thursday of every month

Instead of the first five fields, one of eight special strings may appear: string meaning ------ ------- @reboot Run once, at startup. @yearly Run once a year, "0 0 1 1 *". @annually (same as @yearly) @monthly Run once a month, "0 0 1 * *". @weekly Run once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulds
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab schedule

I have the following crontab entry. 0,30 00-16 * * * This job runs every 30 minutes between the hours of 12:00AM and 4:00PM. How can I have it stop at 4:30PM instead? Thank you, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to schedule my script without crontab

I have a script which shoud run after every 30 minutes.Though I know abt crontab, unfortunately I dont have access/authorization to use crontab in my terminal. Could any one pls let me know how to schedule the script without crontab ? Regards Prashant:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule a job using Crontab

I would like to execute my script at 17.30 and 23.00 using crontab, could anybody help me out!! Thanks in Advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatanig
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Crontab schedule

Hi, I want schedule a script with fowllowing days. The crontab and schedule to run every 2 hours from Monday to Saturday at noon. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab schedule

Hi, I have a script which will query the DB and added to crontab at 1,2,6,7 AM everyday and sends a email if count is 0. Now the problem is, if crontab is disabled it doesn't sends a mail. Please tell me how can I handle this situation in the script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Schedule a Crontab

All, I'm a newbie with crontab and I need your help with schedule a cold-backup running every Sunday at 7am except 1st of the month. Thank you so much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to schedule a script in crontab.

Hi, My script is in $home/bin/sample.sh. I want to run the script for 3times a day, first execution will be at 08:00 am. second execution will be at 16:00 pm third will be at 23:59 pm. what will be the entry with this requirement?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrima.pratima
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab schedule

Hi all, I would like to schedule a crontab script, which should run From 8pm Thursday to 2am Friday and it should run every 10 minutes. I have put a script like below, is it the correct one. 10 01,02,20,21,22,23,00 * * 4-5 /u01/app/test.ksh Any other options available to schedule the same... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid2013
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to schedule crontab?

Hi All, How to schedule crontab on all day except sunday and monday means from tuesday to saturday at 06:00AM. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)