Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Single command to create multiple empty files(no trailing lines as well). Post 302850587 by MR.bean on Thursday 5th of September 2013 05:28:11 AM
Old 09-05-2013
It's strange that you cannot use cat touch >, I'm not sure what type of environment you are using that disallow you to use those typical commands. Use perl if you can

Code:
seq 1 5 | perl -lne '{ open(F, ">$_"); close(F); }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename multiple files with a single command

Hi I have following list of files at a path: 01.AR.asset 01.AR.index 01.AR.asset.vf 01.AR.asset.xv I want to rename all these files as follows: 73.AR.asset.Z 73.AR.index.Z 73.AR.asset.vf.Z 73.AR.asset.xv.Z Can any body give me a single command to acheive the above results. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the single file lines into multiple files

Let's assume that I have a file name called ‘A' and it has 100 lines in it and would like to split these 100 lines into 4 files as specified bellow. INPUT: Input file name A 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ........100 Output: 4 output files (x,y,z,w) File x should contains (Skip 4 lines)... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao25
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out multiple files with a single command?

I have a log directory: /logs/foo.log /logs/bar.log /logs/err.out I'm trying to find a way to > /logs/*.log > /logs/*.out to blank them out, but of course, that doesn't work. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sftp multiple files in single command

Hi All, I would like to sftp 2 files with a single command. I tried the below options, sftp suer@test13:"/u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh /u01/home/oracle/.profile" ./ But what actually happens is Fetching /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh to /u01/home/oracle/.profile /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid2013
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple files from single file based on row separator

Hello , Can anyone please help me to solve the below - Input.txt source table abc col1 char col2 number source table bcd col1 date col2 char output should be 2 files based on the row separator "source table" abc.txt col1 char (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split file into multiple files based on empty lines

I am using below code to split files based on blank lines but it does not work. awk 'BEGIN{i=0}{RS="";}{x="F"++i;}{print > x;}' Your help would be highly appreciated find attachment of sample.txt file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imranrasheedamu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move multiple files to different directory using a single command

I have multiple files test1, test2, test3 etc. I want to move to a different directory with ABC_ prefixed to every file and and current dat time as postfix using a single command. (I will be using this is sftp with ! (command for local server). I have tried the following but it gives error ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
5 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)