Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Suitable External HDD for Linux RHEL Post 302848681 by fpmurphy on Thursday 29th of August 2013 06:58:38 PM
Old 08-29-2013
Yes, any of the external HDDs marketed for Windows can be used with Linux. If your proposed physical connection is USB, make sure that you get a USB 3.0 if possible for fastest transfer speeds.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Installing Linux on External HDD

Hi, I want to install LINUX on my laptop. I have a 2GHZ,1GB RAM and HDD is not partitioned. I donot want to touch this HDD and I have external HDD of 200GB. Can I install LINUX on this external HDD?. I would like system to detect linux only when I connect my external hard drive. else system should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshht
5 Replies

2. Solaris

How to mount External HDD in VMware 6.0

Hi Friends, I am using VMware 6.0 and i want to transfer some files from External HDD so how to mount the Disk, and i am not able to assign any ip to my network card any one can help me how to set ip in VMware. Thanks and Regards, Venky.:b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1409.venkatesh
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use external HDD as archive0

Hello UNIX-community, We have an older SCO UNIX-system running PCS3 (an industrial platform) and since a few weeks we are experiencing problems with our archiving software. For about ten years, the system archives data to Magneto-Optical discs (MO-discs) and thus far it has worked fine.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4Friend
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

External NIC cards not pinging with each other in RHEL 5.1

We have a setup of two nodes which has two NIC cards in each. One is built in and another is D-Link (external NIC card). We are unable to ping to the external NIC cards in both. Eg: Node A has two IPs 192.168.1.10 (eth0) and 192.168.2.10 (eth1) and Node B has two IPs 192.168.1.20 (eth0) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Installing mac on external hdd?

Hi, As I did not find any specific group for this question, i am putting it here. Can I install Mac OS on an external hard disk? Is this possible or not? I know it is very hard to install mac os on non-mac hardwares. I have a dell inspiron laptop and i want to use mac from external hdd. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External HDD

I need to get an external HDD for a SUN server running Solaris 10. The Western Digital that I have will not recognize and when I went looking for drivers WD only has them for MAC and Windows. Is there a External HDD that is known to work with Unix? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
24 Replies

8. Red Hat

External HDD Issue

Hello everyone ! I just installed Red Hat 6.4 and when i plug in my external HDD firstly i can see the files and after 5 seconds all dissapears. What causes to this and ways to fix it ? Thanks in advance ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djqbert
1 Replies

9. Gentoo

Data recovery of formatted external HDD

accidentally formatted ext3 external hard disk .. im using EAse us tool in windows system to recover the data ... will this works?? if yes ... the another external hard disk have to be formatted in which file system ? is there any other option ..please help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshz
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris can't detect external HDD on HP server

Hello, Unix users :) Has anyone had this problem when you connect an external hard drive to the server and it is simply not visible with any commands? The server is HP DL380 g8, and OS is: root@...:/# cat /etc/release Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aratai
16 Replies
USB(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    USB(4)

NAME
usb -- Universal Serial Bus SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device usb Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): usb_load="YES" USERLAND PROGRAMMING
USB functions can be accessed from userland through the libusb library. See libusb(3) for more information. DESCRIPTION
FreeBSD provides machine-independent bus support and drivers for USB devices in host and device side mode. The usb driver has three layers: USB Controller (Bus) USB Device USB Driver The controller attaches to a physical bus like pci(4). The USB bus attaches to the controller, and the root hub attaches to the controller. Any devices attached to the bus will attach to the root hub or another hub attached to the USB bus. The uhub device will always be present as it is needed for the root hub. INTRODUCTION TO USB
The USB is a system where external devices can be connected to a PC. The most common USB speeds are: Low Speed (1.5MBit/sec) Full Speed (12MBit/sec) High Speed (480MBit/sec) Each USB has a USB controller that is the master of the bus. The physical communication is simplex which means the host controller only com- municates with one USB device at a time. There can be up to 127 devices connected to an USB HUB tree. The addresses are assigned dynamically by the host when each device is attached to the bus. Within each device there can be up to 16 endpoints. Each endpoint is individually addressed and the addresses are static. Each of these endpoints will communicate in one of four different modes: control, isochronous, bulk, or interrupt. A device always has at least one end- point. This endpoint has address 0 and is a control endpoint and is used to give commands to and extract basic data, such as descriptors, from the device. Each endpoint, except the control endpoint, is unidirectional. The endpoints in a device are grouped into interfaces. An interface is a logical unit within a device; e.g. a compound device with both a keyboard and a trackball would present one interface for each. An interface can sometimes be set into different modes, called alternate set- tings, which affects how it operates. Different alternate settings can have different endpoints within it. A device may operate in different configurations. Depending on the configuration, the device may present different sets of endpoints and interfaces. The bus enumeration of the USB bus proceeds in several steps: 1. Any interface specific driver can attach to the device. 2. If none is found, generic interface class drivers can attach. SEE ALSO
The USB specifications can be found at: http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/ libusb(3), usbdi(4), aue(4), axe(4), cue(4), ehci(4), kue(4), ohci(4), pci(4), rue(4), ucom(4), udav(4), uhci(4), uhid(4), ukbd(4), ulpt(4), umass(4), ums(4), uplcom(4), urio(4), uvscom(4), usbconfig(8) STANDARDS
The usb module complies with the USB 2.0 standard. HISTORY
The usb module has been inspired by the NetBSD USB stack initially written by Lennart Augustsson. The usb module was written by Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@freebsd.org>. BSD
May 20, 2009 BSD