Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Compiling BOINC/Seti@Home for OpenBSD 5.3 Sparc64 Post 302848493 by RichardET on Thursday 29th of August 2013 12:30:45 PM
Old 08-29-2013
Compiling BOINC/Seti@Home for OpenBSD 5.3 Sparc64

I used to use x86 Linux clients for this years ago, but ceased all activity until last night. I have resurrected an old Sun Blade 100, which used to run Solaris 9, when I first owned it, in the 2003 period, but now is very much alive with 2 gig of new ram, and and extra 10 gig of drive space for these types of projects.
I have to plug OpenBSD - these guys did a great job with this Sparc64 port for these older Sun boxes. Now this computer sits running actively, with nothing to do! So lets run Seti on it, but alas, no recent binary for OpenBSD Sparc64 seems to be found. Thus I tried last night to compile my own, but the _autosetup script fails saying it can't find M4 >= 1.4 (not true, I have latest), automake( not true I have latest), autoconf (not true I have latest). The only thing it finds is gmake, which passes. Is there some sort of special tailoring necessary for OpenBSD? Or has someone solved all these issues already and could help me out? Thanks, Richard.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

SETI Finds Stolen Laptop

The SETI@home project invites volunteers to install special software of their home computers. This software, called BOINC, runs computational jobs when the computer would otherwise be idle. And the software needs to contact the main server periodically to deliver results and obtain new problems.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Has anyone run the linux boinc client on FreeBSD

The reason I ask is because the einstein client in the freash ports is not the current one with boinc. No new work is being assigned. They sugested or asked if I could run boinc 6.10.17 linux in emulation and if so, I would be able to crunch einstein data. so, anyone done the linux emulation of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: droolin
0 Replies

3. BSD

Installing OpenJDK on a Netbsd Sparc64 Server

I am currently working on a project that involves running the lift framework on a sun sparc64 architecture. Due to limited support from more popular unix distros, I am running NetBSD 64-bit on the system. Before i can even tackle trying to install lift, I have to be able to install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.date not working please help

:( ---------- Post updated at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:50 AM ---------- Not working ---------- Post updated at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:51 AM ---------- cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.`date` i am using this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishiraaz
4 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Compiling fails due to space in path to home folder

I seem to have issues compiling software and I think I've narrowed it down to something having to do with having a space in the path name to my Home folder (which contains "Macintosh HD"). The reason I think this is shown here: $ echo $HOME /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Tom $ cd $HOME -sh:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdgrant1
7 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Thunar Crashes running XFCE 4.10 on Sparc64 , OpenBSD 5.3

I use XFCE 4.10 on OpenBSD 5.3; The use of Thunar produces a core dump, if I am logged in as a user, but if I log in as root, it works fine. Obviously it is a permissions issue, but what permission on what file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardET
4 Replies
boinc(1)																  boinc(1)

NAME
boinc - The BOINC core client program. SYNOPSIS
boinc [options] DESCRIPTION
The BOINC "core client", boinc, is the heart of BOINC. It controls which project applications are run on your computer, downloading "Workunits" and uploading the "Result" files from completed tasks. boinc is usually run in the background, ideally as a daemon. It can then be controlled either by a graphical tool called the BOINC Manager, boincmgr(1), or a command-line tool called boinccmd(1), by means of Re- mote Proceedure Calls (RPCs) over port 31416. The BOINC core client can be controlled by command-line options, configuration files, and environment variables. Standard usage is simply to start the client running in the background. OPTIONS
These command-line options for boinc can be used to control how BOINC is started. Once the client has started, you should use a separate program, (boincmgr(1) or boinccmd(1)) which communicates with it by means of Remote Proceedure Calls (RPCs). --help show options --version show version info --exit_when_idle exit when there are no results --show_projects show attached projects --detach_project URL detach from a project --reset_project URL reset (clear) a project --attach_project URL key attach to a project --update_prefs URL contact a project to update preferences --run_cpu_benchmarks run the CPU benchmarks --check_all_logins for idle detection, check remote logins too --allow_remote_gui_rpc allow remote GUI RPC connections --gui_rpc_port port port for GUI RPCs --redirectio redirect stdout and stderr to log files --dir path use given dir as BOINC home --no_gui_rpc Omits creation of a socket as required for the remote control of the client. Consequently the client cannot be controlled by exter- nal tools like GUIs (boincmgr etc.) or the console command tool (boinccmd). --daemon run as daemon --exit_before_start exit right before starting a job --exit_after_finish exit right after finishing a job --insecure disable app sandboxing --launched_by_manager core client was launched by Manager --run_by_updater set by updater ACCESS CONTROL FOR GUI RPC
By default the core client accepts GUI RPC connections only from programs on the same host, which means that any user on this host can con- trol the core client. SEE ALSO
boinccmd(1), boincmgr(1) <http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration_(advanced)> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 University of California. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. April 06, 2008 boinc(1)