Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] How remove leading whitespace from xml (sed /awk?) Post 302848127 by gacanepa on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 01:58:58 PM
Old 08-28-2013
Try this:
Code:
gacanepa@debian:~$ cat file.xml
 hola
 chau
 me
 voy
gacanepa@debian:~$ awk '{$1=$1}1' file.xml
hola
chau
me
voy
gacanepa@debian:~$

You may want to redirect the output of the last command to an empty file. Hope it helps.
This User Gave Thanks to gacanepa For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop preserving leading whitespace

Hi all, I've been trying to get this to work for ages to no avail. I've searched this site and googled but cannot find a satisfactory answer. I've got a while loop, like this while read line do echo "$line" done < file_name Now, my problem is that most of the lines in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : remove whitespace

I'm trying to remove the whitespace at the end of each line of a text file in ksh. Im using sed s/ $//g' file1.txt > file2.txt It's not working. Any clues? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.hamilton
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove sections of a xml file with sed

I've been trying to remove some lines of a xml file that looks like this: <parent> <child>name1</child> <lots_of_other tags></lots_of_other_tags> </parent> <parent> <child>name2</child> <lots_of_other tags></lots_of_other_tags> </parent> <parent> <child>name3</child> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viniciusandre
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] remove pattern with sed

Hi, i want to remove a certain pattern when i type pwd. pwd will look like this: ..../....../....../Pat_logs/..../....../...../...... the dotted lines are just random directory names, i want it to remove the "Pat_logs/...../....../....../" part so for example: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading zeroes in 2nd field using sed

Hi Forum. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a solution for my question. I have the following data and would like to have a sed syntax to remove the leading zeroes from the 2nd field only: Before: 2010-01-01|123|1|1000|2000|500|1500|600|700... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Remove whitespace between two strings

I have a 13 number string, some whitespace, and then /mp3. I need to join them. Everyline that I need this for begins with "cd" (without the quotes). What it looks like now: cd media/Audio/WAVE/9781933976334 /mp3 What I want my output to be: cd media/Audio/WAVE/9781933976334/mp3 The 13... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove leading zeros for a hex number

Is it possible by using awk to remove leading zeros for a hex number? ex: 0000000011179E0A -> 11179E0A Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk to remove lines

Hi, I have a file with contents. file1: <2013 tttaaa abc123 <2013 gggdddd <2013 sssssss <2013 eeeee I need to remove the lines which do not have the word "tttaaa" can some one help ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
diff2patches(1) 														   diff2patches(1)

NAME
diff2patches - Extract non-debian/ patches from .diff.gz files SYNTAX
diff2patches filename diff2patches --help|--version DESCRIPTION
Extracts patches from .diff.gz which apply to files outside the "debian/" directory scope. A patch is created for each modified file. Each patch is named according to the path of the modified file, with "/" replaced by "___", and an extension of ".patch". OPTIONS
filename Extract patches from filename which apply outside the "debian/" directory. --help Output help information and exit. --version Output version information and exit. FILES
debian/control Existence of this file is tested before any patch is extracted. debian/ debian/patches/ Patches are extracted to one of these directories. "debian/patches/" is preferred, if it exists. If DEB_PATCHES is present in the environment, it will override this behavior (see "ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES" section below). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DEB_PATCHES When defined and points to an existing directory, patches are extracted in that directory and not under "debian/" nor "debian/patches/". SEE ALSO
combinediff(1) AUTHOR
Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com> Raphael Geissert <;atomo64@gmail.com> diff2patches(1)