Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is /dev/mapper used for? Post 302846631 by wisecracker on Sunday 25th of August 2013 05:48:34 AM
Old 08-25-2013
Google is your friend here, and there is a lot about it...

A starter:-

Device mapper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

2. Red Hat

device-mapper-multipath path [undef]

I have an HP blade with Qlogic HBA's connected to an EVA8000. I have downloaded the latest multipath.conf from HP's website. The drive presented to the server appears to be configured and working except the output of "multipath -l" shows for all paths. What is causing this output? mpath0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manzier
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Device Mapper Notations and LVM

Hi, I had a doubt regarding device mapper notations and their corresponding LVM volumes. I have configured a volume group with two logical volumes in it as root and swap. The entries in the /etc/fstab file show the dm notations namely, /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Network mapper based on zone files ?

Good morning, Say I have a zone file like this: ns.chicago.company.com. 86400 IN A 212.168.12.15 ns.casper.company.com. 86400 IN A 212.168.14.15 company.com. 86400 IN NS ns.aux.company.com. ns.aux.company.com. 86400 IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigBro
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in /dev/hd1 and /dev/hd9var

Hello AIXians, I can't boot my AIX, it hangs and stops at the code error: 0518 After searching google, I knew the problem is due to problems in File Systems. So the solution is booting from any bootable media, then run these commands in maintenance mode: #fsck -y /dev/hd4 #fsck -y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root

Hi Friends . my linux try to start very slowly after give it this error: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root, missing codepage or helper program, or other error in some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg : tail or so Kernel panic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackjuan
3 Replies
DM(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     DM(4)

NAME
dm -- Device-mapper disk driver SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device dm DESCRIPTION
The dm driver provides the capability of creating one or more virtual disks based on the target mapping. This document assumes that you're familiar with how to generate kernels, how to properly configure disks and pseudo-devices in a kernel con- figuration file, and how to partition disks. This driver is used by the Linux lvm2tools to create and manage lvm in NetBSD. Currently, the linear, zero, and error targets are implemented. Each component partition should be offset at least 2 sectors from the begin- ning of the component disk. This avoids potential conflicts between the component disk's disklabel and dm's disklabel. In i386 it is offset by 65 sectors, where 63 sectors are the initial boot sectors and 2 sectors are used for the disklabel which is set to be read-only. In order to compile in support for dm, you must add a line similar to the following to your kernel configuration file: pseudo-device dm #device-mapper disk device dm may create linear mapped devices, zero, and error block devices. Zero and error block devices are used mostly for testing. Linear devices are used to create virtual disks with linearly mapped virtual blocks to blocks on real disk. dm Device-mapper devices are controlled through the /dev/mapper/control device. For controlling this device ioctl(2) calls are used. For the implementation of the communication channel, the proplib(3) library is used. The protocol channel is defined as a proplib dictionary with needed values. For more details, look at sys/dev/dm/netbsd-dm.h. Before any device can be used, every device-mapper disk device must be initialized. For initialization one line must be passed to the kernel driver in the form of a proplib dictionary. Every device can have more than one table active. An example for such a line is: 0 10240 linear /dev/wd1a 384 dm The first parameter is the start sector for the table defined with this line, the second is the length in sectors which is described with this table. The third parameter is the target name. All other parts of this line depend on the chosen target. dm For the linear target, there are two additional parameters: The first parameter describes the disk device to which the device-mapper disk is mapped. The second parameter is the offset on this disk from the start of the disk/partition. SEE ALSO
config(1), proplib(3), MAKEDEV(8), dmsetup(8), fsck(8), lvm(8), mount(8), newfs(8) HISTORY
The device-mapper disk driver first appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Adam Hamsik <haad@NetBSD.org> implemented the device-mapper driver for NetBSD. Brett Lymn <blymn@NetBSD.org>, Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@NetBSD.org>, and Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org> provided guidance and answered questions about the NetBSD implementation. BUGS
This driver is still work-in-progress--there can be bugs. BSD
August 30, 2008 BSD