Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is /dev/mapper used for? Post 302846629 by rupeshkp728 on Sunday 25th of August 2013 05:18:22 AM
Old 08-25-2013
What is /dev/mapper used for?

I see a folder named "mapper" in /dev.
This folder "mapper" has some soft link to other folders.

What is mapper folder used for?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

2. Red Hat

device-mapper-multipath path [undef]

I have an HP blade with Qlogic HBA's connected to an EVA8000. I have downloaded the latest multipath.conf from HP's website. The drive presented to the server appears to be configured and working except the output of "multipath -l" shows for all paths. What is causing this output? mpath0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manzier
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Device Mapper Notations and LVM

Hi, I had a doubt regarding device mapper notations and their corresponding LVM volumes. I have configured a volume group with two logical volumes in it as root and swap. The entries in the /etc/fstab file show the dm notations namely, /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Network mapper based on zone files ?

Good morning, Say I have a zone file like this: ns.chicago.company.com. 86400 IN A 212.168.12.15 ns.casper.company.com. 86400 IN A 212.168.14.15 company.com. 86400 IN NS ns.aux.company.com. ns.aux.company.com. 86400 IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigBro
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in /dev/hd1 and /dev/hd9var

Hello AIXians, I can't boot my AIX, it hangs and stops at the code error: 0518 After searching google, I knew the problem is due to problems in File Systems. So the solution is booting from any bootable media, then run these commands in maintenance mode: #fsck -y /dev/hd4 #fsck -y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root

Hi Friends . my linux try to start very slowly after give it this error: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root, missing codepage or helper program, or other error in some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg : tail or so Kernel panic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackjuan
3 Replies
NEW(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)