Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove char if not a number
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove char if not a number Post 302845307 by Ygor on Wednesday 21st of August 2013 08:39:51 AM
Old 08-21-2013
Try something like...
Code:
$ string1='3X'

$ case $string1 in [0-9][0-9]) : ;; [0-9]?) string1=${string1:0:1} ;; esac

$ echo $string1

$

This User Gave Thanks to Ygor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of specific char in a string.

I wish to compute the number of dot chars in a string. Example: VAR="aaaa.bbbbb.cccc" I try the shortest command to solve this test. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Giovanni (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get number char from a string

for example: i hav a string like : /rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log how I can extract my_num=72736? I know I can echo "/rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log" | tr "/" " " | awk '{ print $4 }' to get rmsprdarch72736.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find number of char occur

To find out number of "|" symbol is available in file: Input: a|b|c|d|z Ouput: 4 I am using below set of commands,It is working... Anybody have anyother solution using sed / awk. cnt=`wc -c <1.txt` cnt1=`tr -d "|" <1.txt >c.dat` cnt2=`wc -c <c.dat` outp=`expr $cnt... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to remove a char from a specified sub-string

Hi! I'm having trouble usind sed to remove the char ' from within a database's varchar register's sql. For example, on the following sql: INSERT INTO patrimonio_municipal.patrimonio_municipal_airc_tmp Values('|Estação Elevatória|',|16723|,'|Grandes Reparações|', '|2010-03-26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cremat0rio
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I remove the first char using AWK?

Hi everyone, suppose that I have the following line: #test your knowledge can I use AWK to print the word "test" only? without the #? what should I change to this: awk '{print $1}' thanks in advance guys (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove char after Colon

Hi guys, This is my input 2735:<7001> 34 789 701 2 2774:<7001> 34 789 701 2 How to delete characters after colon : Including colon : too ? My output should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
3 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help me to remove junk char

I wanted to remove junk char in my csv. :mad: Input file format: "17","9986782190","0","D","2" "17","9900918331","0","D","2" "13","9986782194","0","A","2" Output file format 9986782190 9900918331 9986782194 And one more thing all the time "13"," this will be different Ex: . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddartha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count number of char?

hello how can i cont number of char with loop coomand? i dont want to use wc or other special command the script should check all word's char. one by one also a counter can handle the number As noted in other threads started today. This is not the correct forum for homework assignments. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove double char occurences

I have a file with random characters where every time a char occurs twice, one occurrence must be removed. Eg. asjkdhaSSd Must become: asjkdhaSd Anybody has a SED script in mind to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlopes
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a char before a pattern?

Hi I have a file where i want to remove a char before a specific pattern. exp: CREATE TABLE ( A, B, C, ----comma needs to be removed )AS SELECT A, B, C, ----comma needs to be removed FROM TABLE. So i want to delete the comma(,) after the C both ways.Pattern can be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
11 Replies
tr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     tr(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
string1 string2 string1 string1 string1 string1 DESCRIPTION
copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. If necessary, string1 and string2 can be quoted to avoid pattern matching by the shell. recognizes the following command line options: Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When this flag is specified does not support extended characters. Complements the set of characters in string1, which is the set of all characters in the current character set, as defined by the current setting of except for those actually specified in the string1 argument. These characters are placed in the array in ascending collation sequence, as defined by the current setting of Deletes all occurrences of input characters or collating elements found in the array specified in string1. If and are both specified, all characters except those specified by string1 are deleted. The contents of string2 are ignored, unless is also specified. Note, however, that the same string cannot be used for both the and the flags; when both flags are specified, both string1 (used for deletion) and string2 (used for squeezing) are required. If is not specified, each input character or collating element found in the array specified by string1 is replaced by the character or collating element in the same relative position specified by string2. Replaces any character specified in string1 that occurs as a string of two or more repeating characters as a single instance of the character in string2. If the string2 contains a character class, the argument's array contains all of the characters in that character class. For example: In a case conversion, however, the string2 array contains only those characters defined as the second characters in each of the or character pairs, as appropriate. For example: The following abbreviation conventions can be used to introduce ranges of characters, repeated characters or single-character collating elements into the strings: c1-c2 or Stands for the range of collating elements c1 through c2, inclusive, as defined by the current setting of the locale category. Stands for all the characters belonging to the defined character class, as defined by the current setting of locale category. The following character class names will be accepted when spec- ified in string1: or Character classes are expanded in collation order. When the and flags are specified together, any of the character class names are accepted in string2; otherwise, only character class names or are accepted in string2 and then only if the corresponding character class and respectively) is specified in the same relative position in string1. Such a specification is interpreted as a request for case conversion. When appears in string1 and appears in string2, the arrays contain the characters from the mapping in the category of the current locale. When appears in string1 and appears in string2, the arrays contain the characters from the map- ping in the category of the current locale. Stands for all the characters or collating elements belonging to the same equivalence class as c, as defined by the current setting of locale category. An equivalence class expression is allowed only in string1, or in string2 when it is being used by the combined and options. Stands for n repetitions of a. If the first digit of n is n is considered octal; otherwise, n is treated as a decimal value. A zero or missing n is interpreted as large enough to extend string2-based sequence to the length of the string1-based sequence. The escape character can be used as in the shell to remove special meaning from any character in a string. In addition, followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits represents the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. An ASCII NULL character in string1 or string2 can be represented only as an escaped character; i.e. as but is treated like other characters and translated correctly if so specified. NULL characters in the input are not stripped out unless the option is given. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If is unset or null, the default value of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, will behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. determines the interpretation of text as single and/or multi-byte characters, the classification of characters as printable, and the char- acters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informa- tive messages written to standard output. determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: All input was processed successfully. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
For the ASCII character set and default collation sequence, create a list of all the words in file1, one per line in file2, where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. Quote the strings to protect the special characters from interpretation by the shell (012 is the ASCII code for a new-line (line feed) character): Same as above, but for all character sets and collation sequences: Translate all lower case characters in file1 to upper case and write the result to standard output. Use an equivalence class to identify accented variants of the base character in file1, strip them of diacritical marks and write the result to file2: Translate each digit in file1 to a (number sign), and write the result to file2. The (asterisk) tells to repeat the (number sign) enough times to make the second string as long as the first one. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sh(1), ascii(5), environ(5), lang(5), regexp(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tr(1)