Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adduser or useradd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adduser or useradd Post 302845199 by Zeldforged on Wednesday 21st of August 2013 04:52:38 AM
Old 08-21-2013
Adduser or useradd

I am just wondering why there are two similar commands for creating a user. Could you please point me when I should choose adduser and when useradd? This puzzles me a little.

Thanks,
Panos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question related to command "adduser"

Hello.. I dont know if i can ask this question in this session..if wrong please correct me.. This is my question.. When iam creating a user with command " adduser xxx" Where are the changes happening.. I know in /etc/passwd , /etc/shadow... in /home Is there any i missed.. please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

2. Programming

adduser

Hi, Let me know any urls where i can get the source code for "adduser" program.. Please help.. esham (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for nessus-adduser

I took a stab at writing a script to automate the interactive process of adding users to Nessus - I have zero previous coding experience. So far, it doesn't get me anywhere. I took small sections of code from posts I found on this site and others:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nolamiami
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec a build command (adduser) in a script

Hi, With a awk script i create a "adduser line" $ cat /tmp/tmp.ldif | awk -f ldif2adduser.awk adduser --uid 1002 --gid 1000 --gecos "ROUSSIN Guy" --home /homeL/guy --shell /bin/bash --disabled-password guy If i cut and paste this line, all is fine. But in a shell script i get errors : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guyr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate adduser on FreeBSD?

After just posting a query on beginners@perl.org inquiring about the perl API for automating useradd/userdel/usermod on FreeBSD, I got to thinking: Maybe perl is not the best approach to automating useradd/usermod/userdel. We have a list of users from a windows system and we want to run a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Adduser -> Access denied

hi, I have a problem with any user i created on a linux server RH. With the user root i did: adduser toto passwd toto (to give it a password - message : "all authentication tokens updated successfully") I can do a "su - toto", but when I try to connect it directly by ssh i have the message... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 adduser

Brain teaser, I was given the task below. I believe the consultant runs software on his laptop that probes our QA tier web servers for xxx The two web servers are xxx I attempt useradd command on XXX which seems to work, but when I attempt to assign a pwd, the OS denies it and says user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yellow_mustard
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adduser

hi, when i want to "adduser newuser" i receved this warning : event type "audit_buf" is a fixed event and may not be manipulated help me please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rezasadeghi
2 Replies
XWORD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XWORD(1)

NAME
xword - do crossword puzzles in the Across Lite format SYNOPSIS
xword [puzzlefile.puz]... DESCRIPTION
Xword is a GTK program for doing crossword puzzles. It can read and write puzzles in the Across Lite file format. Consequently, it works well for doing puzzles from The New York Times. As well as a clock, it supports printing. It also auto-saves puzzles as you solve them so that you can return to partially completed puzzles. USAGE
First, locate a puzzle on the web. The best place to go is the web site of The New York Times. However, it costs money to access these puz- zles. Free puzzles are available from The Houston Chronicle. After you have found a puzzle, click on it in your web browser. Xword will open the puzzle and you can start solving. You can also choose to save the puzzle on your hard disk. Then you can open the puzzle using Xword later. After you have worked on a puzzle for a while, you may want to save your work. There are two ways to save. The easiest way is to close Xword without any further action. The next time you open the same puzzle (either by opening the .puz file or by clicking the same link on the web), you will be asked whether you want to continue where you left off. If you choose to continue, all your correct and incorrect answers will be saved, as well as the time on the clock. However, this technique only works for opening the puzzle on the same computer. If you need to open the saved puzzle on a different com- puter, then you can choose "Save" from the "File" menu. The saved file can be opened with Xword on any computer. However, incorrect answers and the time on the clock will not be saved. To print a puzzle, select "Print" from the "File" menu. You can see what the printed puzzle will look like by clicking "Print Preview". You can select the paper size and orientation by clicking on the "Paper" tab (puzzles are usually easier to read in landscape mode). Sometimes a puzzle will be locked so that the answers are unavailable. Unfortunately, Xword's support for locked puzzles is somewhat flaky. When using a locked puzzle, you should not click on the "Check" or "Solve" buttons, since they will give incorrect information. How- ever, you can still use Xword to enter answers for a locked puzzle. Later, when an unlocked version of the puzzle is released (usually the next day), open it using Xword. When asked, choose to continue where you left off. Now you can use the "Check" and "Solve" buttons to see how well you did. Sometimes crosswords will come with a four-digit code to unlock a locked puzzle file. This code is not needed by Xword ... For more information, see the project home page at <https://alioth.debian.org/projects/xword/>. AUTHOR
xword was originally written by Bill McCloskey <bill.mccloskey@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by John Sullivan <johns@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). BUGS
Please report bugs to <https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?atid=413106&group_id=100419&func=browse>. December 3, 2007 XWORD(1)