Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 massive SMF log file Post 302844925 by AlexLi on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 10:09:23 AM
Old 08-20-2013
Thanks all.
In this case , how can I truncate the log file if it is open?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Boot problem with SMF svcs-Solaris 10 for x86

Hi All, I am newbie in solaris, please guide me. A week before i installed solaris10 on my x86 system, it was working fine i always used "init 5" to shutdown my system as per my collegue advice. But yesterday when i started my system it gave me following message ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrankhan.in
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Permission denied in SMF service log

I can't get the exact error message because I am at home, but on Solaris 10u5 machine I have at work, a few services are stuck in the maintenance state with the following error message in the individual service logs (/var/svc/log/FMRI:instance.log): Cannot chdir: permission denied Fortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
2 Replies

3. Solaris

SMF in Solaris 10

In SOlaris 9 for eg, inside the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file, you can set the tcp tracing by going to the last line and adding the following as :- inetd -s -t & In Solaris 10, I know we can use the svccfg to do it or with the inetadm command. When I use inetadm -m command to set the tcp tracing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Can solaris 10 SMF use remote dependencies

I have a customer who wants us to set up their applications to start using the solaris 10 SMF. One of their applications requires that 3 database instances are up and running, but those instances are on 3 separate servers. I can't think of any way that this can be done from what I have read on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkruck
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to change default log location of SMF registered processes.

Hi All, I am trying to change default log location ( var/logs/svc/<component>) of each and evry SMF registered processes and append to particular file (/opt/smf.log) . Please help ................. Thanks in advance !!! Gyan prakash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyan_198
5 Replies

6. Solaris

SMF in Solaris wont write to stderr/stdout ?

Hi, I got a process (c written) that we usually run this way : EmsChkQu >> /EMS/log/EmsChkQu.log 2>&1 When trying to use it as a service I defined it this way : <?xml version='1.0'?> <!DOCTYPE service_bundle SYSTEM '/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/service_bundle.dtd.1'> <service_bundle... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionassedo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Massive ftp

friends good morning FTP works perfect but I have a doubt if I want to transport 10 files, I imagine that I should not open 10 connections as I can transfer more than 1 file? ftp -n <<!EOF open caburga user ephfact ephfact cd /users/efactura/docONE/entrada bin mput EPH`date... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
16 Replies
TRUNCATE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       TRUNCATE(2)

NAME
ftruncate, truncate -- truncate or extend a file to a specified length SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int ftruncate(int fildes, off_t length); int truncate(const char *path, off_t length); DESCRIPTION
ftruncate() and truncate() cause the file named by path, or referenced by fildes, to be truncated (or extended) to length bytes in size. If the file size exceeds length, any extra data is discarded. If the file size is smaller than length, the file is extended and filled with zeros to the indicated length. The ftruncate() form requires the file to be open for writing. Note: ftruncate() and truncate() do not modify the current file offset for any open file descriptions associated with the file. RETURN VALUES
A value of 0 is returned if the call succeeds. If the call fails a -1 is returned, and the global variable errno specifies the error. ERRORS
The ftruncate() system call will fail if: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid descriptor open for writing. [EFBIG] The file is a regular file and length is greater than the offset maximum established in the open file description associ- ated with fildes. [EINVAL] fildes references a socket, not a file. [EINVAL] fildes is not open for writing. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. The truncate() system call will fail if: [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [EACCES] The named file is not writable by the user. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EISDIR] The named file is a directory. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links are encountered in translating the pathname. This is taken to be indicative of a looping symbolic link. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeds {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeds {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [ETXTBSY] The file is a pure procedure (shared text) file that is being executed. The ftruncate() and truncate() system calls will fail if: [EFBIG] The length argument was greater than the maximum file size. [EINTR] A signal is caught during execution. [EINVAL] The length argument is less than 0. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to a file system. SEE ALSO
open(2) BUGS
These calls should be generalized to allow ranges of bytes in a file to be discarded. Use of truncate() to extend a file is not portable. HISTORY
The truncate() and ftruncate() function calls appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution