Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk or sed help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk or sed help Post 302844278 by Indra2011 on Sunday 18th of August 2013 05:53:01 AM
Old 08-18-2013
Thanks to both RudiC and Jotne for helping out!!!
Have a great day1!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / sed

I have many messages such as the test message below: 00:00000:00021:2002/05/13 13:57:00.51 ERROR:- Test error, my test error!!! I am writing a script in which I need to get everything from the word "ERROR:-" onwards. I normally use awk for these things, but I am not an expert at it so i am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baileyr1
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed,awk

Hi, I know sed is stream text editor and not a bit more than that. Can anyone explain its usage and advantages? How is awk different from sed? I donno i am a bit confused about it. But i have coded in awk and shell. Thanks, Nisha :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed in awk ? or nested awk ?

Hey all, Can I put sed command inside the awk action ?? If not then can i do grep in the awk action ?? For ex: awk '$1=="174" { ppid=($2) ; sed -n '/$ppid/p' tempfind.txt ; }' tempfind.txt Assume: 174 is string. Assume: tempfind.txt is used for awk and sed both. tempfind.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Awk or Sed help

Hi, I have a data file with 5 columns - like this: "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","TEST 1","R 1","A TEST","Nov 27 2007","1" "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","THIS IS A TEST","R 2","B TEST","Nov 30 2007","10" "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","ANOTHER TEST","R 3","B TEST","Nov 05... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrG-San
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk?

I've got an inventory database with eight columns with things like product name, manufacturer, UPC code, etc. on each line. Our PO (purchase order) number is in the first column. I can grep the date and get the full line of data but I would like to strip out everything but the PO number in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetJones
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed or awk?

What if I wanted to add a word such as IT after the first character and if theres 3 characters, after the 2nd character? output would be: G, it H G, H it P G, H, P it L I'm thinking that AWK would be the easiest way to do this... Currently looking it up. Right now I'm using awk but I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using awk or sed.

Hi All, Is there a way of comparing two columns in the same file and deleting the row if the values of the columns match. I have the sample data file as below. M024900|175309.00|968.00|17 M025001|19861.79|97.90|148 M025002|431.70|159.00|3 M025003|912.30|159.90|6 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/awk or help please

I have a file that contain the data below: B1 1 2 3 B2 20 30 40 B3 7 8 B4 100 B5 21 22 23How can I retrieve the data for B1 into a seperate file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this possible using SED and AWK?

Dear Geeks, I want to manipulate a file with certain modifications for that using sed or AWK how to do this process for one file i have this type of data. Input File: "Restricted and Reserved names .ANISH",3798,"TEST.CO",1201208,6/16/10 0:00,6/16/13 0:00,,,"CO","2nd"^M "Restricted and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies
FITCIRCLE(l)															      FITCIRCLE(l)

NAME
fitcircle - find mean position and pole of best-fit great [or small] circle to points on a sphere. SYNOPSIS
fitcircle [ xyfile ] -Lnorm [ -H[nrec] ] [ -S ] [ -V ] [ -: ] [ -bi[s][n] ] DESCRIPTION
fitcircle reads lon,lat [or lat,lon] values from the first two columns on standard input [or xyfile]. These are converted to cartesian three-vectors on the unit sphere. Then two locations are found: the mean of the input positions, and the pole to the great circle which best fits the input positions. The user may choose one or both of two possible solutions to this problem. The first is called -L1 and the second is called -L2. When the data are closely grouped along a great circle both solutions are similar. If the data have large dispersion, the pole to the great circle will be less well determined than the mean. Compare both solutions as a qualitative check. The -L1 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of absolute values of cosines of angular distances. This solution finds the mean position as the Fisher average of the data, and the pole position as the Fisher average of the cross-products between the mean and the data. Averaging cross-products gives weight to points in proportion to their distance from the mean, analogous to the "leverage" of distant points in linear regression in the plane. The -L2 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of squares of cosines of angular distances. It creates a 3 by 3 matrix of sums of squares of components of the data vectors. The eigenvectors of this matrix give the mean and pole locations. This method may be more subject to roundoff errors when there are thousands of data. The pole is given by the eigenvector corresponding to the smallest eigenvalue; it is the least-well represented factor in the data and is not easily estimated by either method. -L Specify the desired norm as 1 or 2, or use -L or -L3 to see both solutions. OPTIONS
xyfile ASCII [or binary, see -b] file containing lon,lat [lat,lon] values in the first 2 columns. If no file is specified, fitcircle will read from standard input. -H Input file(s) has Header record(s). Number of header records can be changed by editing your .gmtdefaults file. If used, GMT default is 1 header record. -S Attempt to fit a small circle instead of a great circle. The pole will be constrained to lie on the great circle connecting the pole of the best-fit great circle and the mean location of the data. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. -: Toggles between (longitude,latitude) and (latitude,longitude) input/output. [Default is (longitude,latitude)]. Applies to geo- graphic coordinates only. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is double]. Append n for the number of columns in the binary file(s). [Default is 2 input columns]. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have lon,lat,grav data along a twisty ship track in the file ship.xyg. You want to project this data onto a great circle and resample it in distance, in order to filter it or check its spectrum. Try: fitcircle ship.xyg -L2 project ship.xyg -Cox/oy -Tpx/py -S -pz | sample1d -S-100 -I1 > output.pg Here, ox/oy is the lon/lat of the mean from fitcircle, and px/py is the lon/lat of the pole. The file output.pg has distance, gravity data sampled every 1 km along the great circle which best fits ship.xyg SEE ALSO
gmt(1gmt), project(1gmt), sample1d(1gmt) 1 Jan 2004 FITCIRCLE(l)