Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory Post 302844162 by general_lee on Friday 16th of August 2013 05:40:03 PM
Old 08-16-2013
Just install proftp from opencsw. If you've not used opencsw before, try it.

With proftp you can then easily limit access for users to specific directories. I guess you know this! Opencsw means you won't need to compile it (think yum, apt for Solaris).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

failed to access directory thru ftp

Hi all, I am a beginner to unix and ftp too.So i request your valuable comments. Requirement: I want to put a specific file into a server(linux) and under a particular directory path in that server as /caps/details/data/ Problem : I login to that server through the command `ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict FTP access to a single directory for only one user.

Hi All, It will be very great if you can help me in this issue. Thanks in advance. I need to enable FTP on a solaris9 server. I need to create a new user some "xxxxxx" and he can only FTP the files to and from between /tftpboot directory and network devices. Other users should not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
8 Replies

3. Solaris

when FTP user will go to specific directory

Hi experts, I have a user "bingo" in my sunsolaris 9. # /etc/passwd bingo:x:513:1::/export/home/bingo:/bin/bash when anyone Telnet to this user it goes to his home directory /export/home/bingo But now i want- when someone FTP to this user "bingo" it will NOT go to his home dir. Rather it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
5 Replies

4. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

5. AIX

Limit user access

We have gotten an application that will read and display logs in a report format. The application need a user name and password to access the AIX servers where the logs reside. My problem is the logs are in a few different file systems on the server. Is there any way to lock the user to only the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User access to only specific subdirectory

is is possible to grant user access to only one subdirectory? example a. create ftp user with read/write/delete access (ftp user doesnt belong to uguys group) $ cd /etc/mydir $ls file1 file2 $ls -al -rw-rw-r-x 2 unixguy uguys 96 Dec 8 12:53 file1 -rw-rw-r-x 2 unixguy uguys 96... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Solaris

How to Limit ftp access parameters for specific users?

Dear friends, :) I create new user useradd -g other -d /export/home/sltftp -m -s /bin/bash -c "SLT user account for TMA ftp backup" sltftp now i need do restrict thees chmod delete overwrite rename from this user:(for all the files in the server ,sltftp user can only able to download... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darakas
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Limit Website access upto specific count

Hi to all, I am new to Linux. but i am facing issue with my web server in Ubuntu 11.10. In my webserver i want to restrict maximum users website access (e.g., suppose i want to restrict users to access web to 250 persons in single time). So can you please suggest me to how to do that in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chintanghanti
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Limit bash/sh user's access to a specific directory

Hello Team, I have Solaris 10 u6 I have a user test1 using bash that belong to the group staff. I would like to restrict this user to navigate only in his home directory and his subfolders but not not move out to other directories. How can I do it ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)