Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to print results from two lines using awk? Post 302844157 by RudiC on Friday 16th of August 2013 05:22:59 PM
Old 08-16-2013
How that? Post a sample file and the resulting error...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print number of lines with awk ?

Can some body tell me how to print number of line from a particular file, with sed. ? Input file format AAAA BBBB CCCC SDFFF DDDD DDDD Command to print line 2 and 3 ? BBBB CCCC And also please tell me how to assign column sum to variable. I user the following command it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print only lines in between two strings using awk

Hi, I want to print only lines in between two strings and not the strings using awk. Eg: OUTPUT top 2 bottom 1 left 0 right 0 page 66 END I want to print into a new file only top 2 bottom 1 left 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk print all lines on match?

Ok so I can use awk to match a pattern and print the whole line with print $0. Is there any way to just tell awk to print every line of output when the pattern matches? I'm having it wait for the word error and then print that entire line. But what I actually need to see is all the following... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print lines in a file

Dear All, a.txt A 1 Z A 1 ZZ B 2 Y B 2 AA how can i use awk one line to achieve the result: A Z|ZZ B Y|AA Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk find in columns with "if then" statement and print results

I have a file1.txt file1.txt F-120009210","Felix","U-M-F-F-F-","white","yes","no","U-M-F-F-F-","Bristol","RI","true" F-120009213","Fluffy","U-F-","white","yes","no","M-F-","Warwick","RI","true" U-120009217","Lity","U-M-","grey","yes","yes","","Fall River","MA","true"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK and print next lines #3 thru #10

I have a output log file, that I want to extract some temperature measurement data. I want to AWK on the words "show chassis environment" in the original file, and extract that entire line, and then the 3rd to 10th lines after the one I AWK'd, into a seperate output file. Here is an example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing certain lines from results - awk

im using the code below to monitor a file: gawk '{ a += gsub("(^| )accepted( |$)", "&") a += gsub("(^| )open database( |$)", "&") } END { for (i in a) printf("%s=%s\n", i, a) }' /var/log/syslog the code is searching the syslog file for the string "accepted" and "open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing OSX UNIX command results which print in multiple lines

from the CLI on a Mac, if you type networksetup -listallnetworkservices then you get results in a multi-line paragraph that look something like this: networksetup -listallnetworkservices An asterisk (*) denotes that a network service is disabled. Wi-Fi Display Ethernet Bluetooth DUN... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
7 Replies
BM(PUBLIC)																BM(PUBLIC)

NAME
bm - search a file for a string SYNOPSIS
/usr/public/bm [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Bm searches the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a string. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard out- put. It is blindingly fast. Bm strings are fixed sequences of characters: there are no wildcards, repetitions, or other features of regu- lar expressions. Bm is also case sensitive. The following options are recognized. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -c Only a count of the number of matches is printed -e string The string is the next argument after the -e flag. This allows strings beginning with '-'. -h No filenames are printed, even if multiple files are searched. -n Each line is preceded by the number of characters from the beginning of the file to the match. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -f file The string list is taken from the file. Unless the -h option is specified the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the charac- ters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the strings (listed on the command line) as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Bm searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings, using the Boyer-Moore algorithm. It is far superior in terms of speed to the grep (egrep, fgrep) family of pattern matchers for fixed-pattern searching, and its speed increases with pattern length. SEE ALSO
grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. AUTHOR
Peter Bain (pdbain@wateng), with modifications suggested by John Gilmore BUGS
Only 100 patterns are allowed. Patterns may not contain newlines. If a line (delimited by newlines, and the beginning and end of the file) is longer than 8000 charcters (e.g. in a core dump), it will not be completely printed. If multiple patterns are specified, the order of the ouput lines is not necessarily the same as the order of the input lines. A line will be printed once for each different string on that line. The algorithm cannot count lines. The -n and -c work differently from fgrep. The -v, -i, and -b are not available. 4th Berkeley Distribution 8 July 1985 BM(PUBLIC)