Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding processes on another system that have a file open Post 302844104 by Special_K on Friday 16th of August 2013 11:58:47 AM
Old 08-16-2013
Finding processes on another system that have a file open

I am familiar with using "lsof <filename>" or "fuser <filename>" to determine what process has a given file (usually a .nfs) open. However, I recently used this command and it returned a blank list. I suspect the process that has the .nfs file open might be on another system. Is there a way to determine what process has a file open if the process is on another system?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to obtain system open file table value in Linux

Hello , I want to get current system open file table value. Can any one help. Thanking you, mahesh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh.
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding unix file system

Hi, I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data. I don't really know what file system is on the disk. How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmarques
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out which file system a machine has

Hi, when I run sfdisk -l get: Disk /dev/sda: 19452 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0 Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System /dev/sda1 * 0+ 12 13- 104391 83 Linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Finding most busy file system

Hi Experts, I was asked to find most busy file system on one of the server. It is Sun 10. Any idea to get this? Thanks, Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX: Finding processes attached to shared memory

Is there some way to tell what processes are attached to a shared memory segment? We have a system on which I perform "icps -ma" and there are several segments pending deletion having numerous processes attached to them and I can't tell what processes they are. Neither the creator's pid nor last... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discrepancy in finding the top memory consuming processes

When I run 'top' command,I see the following Memory: 32G real, 12G free, 96G swap free Though it shows as 12G free,I am not able to account for processes that consume the rest 20G. In my understanding some process should be consuming atleast 15-16 G but I am not able to find them. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes

The end result that I'd like is to terminate any process on my ps -u username list that extends beyond 20 minutes. I know for a fact that this process will be named l.exe, but I don't know the number in between and I won't know the PID. Is there a way to use grep or pidof to do this task every 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolanok
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the most memory consuming processes in Linux

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.4 To find the most memory consuming processes, I tried the following 2 methods 1. Method1 # ps aux | head -1 ; ps aux | sort -nk +4 | tail -7 USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 95 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris zones - checking processes and lofs file system

Hi all, q1) If i am in a global-zone, is there any command or anyway to check if a particular process in "ps -ef" output is running in which zone ? q2) if i have created and mount a lofs filesystem/mountpoint for my non-global zone, can i say the following e.g. /dev/md/dsk/d60 /data --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies
killall(1M)															       killall(1M)

NAME
killall - kill all active processes SYNOPSIS
[signal] DESCRIPTION
is a procedure used by to kill all active processes not directly related to the shutdown procedure. is chiefly used to terminate all processes with open files so that the mounted file systems are no longer busy and can be unmounted. sends the specified signal to all user processes in the system, with the following exceptions: the process; all processes (including background processes) associated with the terminal from which was invoked; any process, if owned by any process, if owned by any process; any process; any process. obtains its process information from and therefore may not be able to perfectly identify which processes to signal (see ps(1)). If no signal is specified, a default of (kill) is used. is invoked automatically by The use of is recommended over using by itself (see shutdown(1M)). FILES
SEE ALSO
fuser(1M), kill(1), ps(1), shutdown(1M), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
killall(1M)