Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing a parameter from a shell script to sqlplus Post 302843779 by Mahomed on Thursday 15th of August 2013 03:23:56 AM
Old 08-15-2013
Oracle Passing a parameter from a shell script to sqlplus

Hi All,

I'm new to Linux and scripting, apologies in advance for 'stupid' questions.

Please help... Im writing a script that calls a sqlplus script but the sqlplus requires inputs and i cant seem to get this to work.

here is my code.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
TERM=vt100
export TERM
WORKDIR=/mnt/sr_scripts/PER
export WORKDIR
cd $WORKDIR

DEV="dev" #this is dev environment.
TEST="test" #this is TEST environment.

echo "Enter Environment"
read mENV
echo "Enter a valid PERSON_ID for the employee:"
read PID
echo "Display Payroll Element Entries (Y|N):"
read PEE

if [ "$mENV" == "$DEV" ]; then
 sqlplus -silent apps/apps @PER12.sql
 expect "Enter a valid PERSON_ID for the employee:"
 send "$PID"
 expect "Display Payroll Element Entries (Y|N):"
 send "$PEE"
elif [ "$mENV" == "$TEST" ]; then
 sqlplus -silent apps/apps123 @PER12.sql
 expect "Enter a valid PERSON_ID for the employee:"
 send "$PID"
 expect "Display Payroll Element Entries (Y|N):"
 send "$PEE"
fi

Please note that the first step of the script executes, im able to kick off the sql script but the sql script dont accept the parameters ie: PID and PEE... It just prompts for it again.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
Mahomed

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 08-15-2013 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters from a shell script to sqlplus

Hi , I want to pass parameters from a shell script to a sql script and use the parameter in the sql query ..and then I want to spool a particular select query on to my unix box... for 4 different locations by writing only one sql script Right now no file is generated on the unix box...it is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in passing a variable to sqlplus from a shell script

hi, I am using a shell script from where i will be conecting to sqlplus.. i am having a problem in passing a variable to sqlplus query.. i will be assigning the variable in the unix environment..whenever i am trying to pass a variable having the contents greater than 2500 characters, i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass parameter from sqlplus(procedure completed) to your shell script

if then # mail -s "Import failed file does not exist" sanjay.jaiswal@xyz.com echo "FILE does not exist" exit 1 fi echo "FILE EXIST" size=-1 set $(du /export/home/oracle/nas/scott21.dmp.gz) while do echo "Inside the loop" size=$1 set $(du... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanora600
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter from one file to shell script

Hi All, I have a 2 files. File1 i am generating using an ETL tool, which is a comman seperated delimited file which contains country code & load date. everytime, this country code will be updated from a table. It might be AB or BA & ld_date will be for which date we need to load the file. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

5. AIX

Passing a parameter to a shell script?

I would like to run a compress script on files in certain directories. My compress_script.sh is just basically compress file* In order for me to use this I have to copy it into each directory and run it. How can I state the directory on the command line with the compress script so it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

6. SCO

Parameter passing to dot shell script

OS SCO Open Server 6.0 MP4 I am trying to change the value of a enviornment variable thru a script and want to pass a parameter on the commande line, If I hard code the value inside the script the script changes the enviornment variable . mytest where my test is MYVAR=$1 export MYVAR... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atish0
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Parameter containing space in between to Shell Script

Hi, I have one shell script which use two parameter however one of its parameter have space in between. eg. a.sh 20110114 b c d here b c d is one parameter I used 'b c d' but its not giving correct result. Also i tried b\c\d but this one also didnt work. Any help would be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a Unix parameter to SQLPlus login command

hi All, i m trying to pass a user choice paramter from unix to sqlplus connect command here i want the user to enter the username and password he wants to connect in sql plus through read in unix and then automatically connect to that instance. sqlplus -s $1/$2 where $ 1 and $2 will b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script passing parameters to sqlplus code

Hello All, I am interested in finding out a way to pass parameters that are entered at the prompt from HP unix and passed to SQLPlus code with a Shell Script. Is this possible? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compprog11
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter with single quote to shell script

Hello All, I am trying below +++++++++ #/bin/bash set -x Host=$1 Port=$2 User=$3 Pass=$4 Warning=$5 Critical=$6 SCRIPT_LOC=/opt/agent/ Parameters="'""hostname=$Host&""port=$Port&""username=$User&""password=$Pass&""jvm=UsedMemory,$Warning,$Critical""'" echo $Parameters... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundari127
10 Replies
MYSQL_DB_QUERY(3)							 1							 MYSQL_DB_QUERY(3)

mysql_db_query - Selects a database and executes a query on it

SYNOPSIS
Warning This function was deprecated in PHP 5.3.0, and will be removed in the future, along with the entirety of the original MySQL exten- sion. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include: omysqli_select_db(3) then the query o PDO::__construct resource mysql_db_query (string $database, string $query, [resource $link_identifier = NULL]) DESCRIPTION
mysql_db_query(3) selects a database, and executes a query on it. o $database - The name of the database that will be selected. o $query - The MySQL query. Data inside the query should be properly escaped. o $ link_identifier -The MySQL connection. If the link identifier is not specified, the last link opened by mysql_connect(3) is assumed. If no such link is found, it will try to create one as if mysql_connect(3) was called with no arguments. If no connection is found or established, an E_WARNING level error is generated. Returns a positive MySQL result resource to the query result, or FALSE on error. The function also returns TRUE/ FALSE for INSERT/ UPDATE/ DELETE queries to indicate success/failure. +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function now throws an E_DEPRECATED notice. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ Example #1 mysql_db_query(3) alternative example <?php if (!$link = mysql_connect('mysql_host', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password')) { echo 'Could not connect to mysql'; exit; } if (!mysql_select_db('mysql_dbname', $link)) { echo 'Could not select database'; exit; } $sql = 'SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE id = 42'; $result = mysql_query($sql, $link); if (!$result) { echo "DB Error, could not query the database "; echo 'MySQL Error: ' . mysql_error(); exit; } while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) { echo $row['foo']; } mysql_free_result($result); ?> Note Be aware that this function does NOT switch back to the database you were connected before. In other words, you can't use this function to temporarily run a sql query on another database, you would have to manually switch back. Users are strongly encouraged to use the database.table syntax in their sql queries or mysql_select_db(3) instead of this function. mysql_query(3), mysql_select_db(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQL_DB_QUERY(3)