Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line Post 302843672 by Twinklefingers on Wednesday 14th of August 2013 11:01:11 AM
Old 08-14-2013
Thanks, worked like a charm

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a large file with a list of terms in another file

Hi- I am trying to search a large file with a number of different search terms that are listed one per line in 3 different files. Most importantly I need to be able to do a case insensitive search. I have tried just using egrep -f but it doesn't seam to be able to handle the -i option when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougzilla
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying file information using awk & grep

Hi, TASK 1: I have been using this code to print the information of files kept at "/castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja" in some text file name FILE.txt. rfdir /castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja | grep data | awk '{print "rfio:///castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja/"$9}' > FILE.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common terms in two text file, xargs, grep

Hello, I'm interested in finding all occurrences of the terms in file1 in file2, which are both csv files. I can do this with a loop but I'm interested in knowing if I can also do it with the help of xargs and grep. What I have tried: cat file1 | xargs grep file2 The problem is that... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eon
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple search terms with context

I have a file that is a sort library in the format: ##def title1 content1 stuff1 content2 stuff2 ##enddef ##def title2 etc.. I want to grep def and content and pull some trailing context from content so the result would look something like: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moe.Wilensky
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Obtaining File information based on String Search

Is there a single Command in Unix to get the following Information when searching for files containing one or more strings in a Unix Directory (including sub directories within it) : 1) Complete filename ( path and filename) 2) Owner of the file 3) Size of the file 4) Last Modified date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -B used with -f? (Searching a file using a list of terms, output is lines before each match)

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search file and print everything except multiple search terms

I'm trying to find a way to search a range of similar words in a file. I tried using sed but can't get it right:sed 's/\(ca01\)*//'It only removes "ca01" but leaves the rest of the word. I still want the rest of the information on the lines just not these specific words listed below. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to extract information from a file line by line

In the below perl code I am using tags within each line to extract certain information. The tags that are used are: STB >0.8 is STRAND BIAS otherwise GOOD FDP is the second number GO towards the end of the line is read into an array and the value returned is outputed, in the first line that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for the information at file

I'm having few question. i'm have a input file. Other information CONNECTIONS "BP-COLLECTOR" J6.4 "BP-TEST".4; +5VS C34.1 U21.1; DEV_I2C_SDA J6.6 R4.1 U18.1; DEVICES "BP-TEST" 1."BP-LED_ANODE" (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kttan
8 Replies
syscallbysysc.d(1m)						   USER COMMANDS					       syscallbysysc.d(1m)

NAME
syscallbysysc.d - syscalls by syscall. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
syscallbysysc.d DESCRIPTION
syscallbysysc.d is a DTrace OneLiner to a report of the number of each type of system call made. This is useful to identify which system call is the most common. Docs/oneliners.txt and Docs/Examples/oneliners_examples.txt in the DTraceToolkit contain this as a oneliner that can be cut-n-paste to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # syscallbysysc.d FIELDS
first field This is the system call type. Most have man pages in section 2. second field This is the count, the number of occurrances for this system call. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
syscallbysysc.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
procsystime(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 May 15, 2005 syscallbysysc.d(1m)