Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Increasing space in file system Post 302843025 by vbe on Sunday 11th of August 2013 05:56:23 PM
Old 08-11-2013
Since we dont know your version and architecture, the answer will be general:
In order to be able to reduce file systems easily (online that is ..) you would have to have onlineJFS installed, and reducing a filesystem so you can increase size of another can be done only if both filesystems are in the same volume group.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Increasing filesystem space

Now, i know a ufs file system can be increased using mkfs but hwo do I take space from a file system and add it to another file system? at my job here, that seems to be possible because I see request on it almost every day. what is the exact command to do this and does the system need to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

increasing file system

Hi, on /dev1 I have 50Gb, on /dev2 I have 5Gb. How can I give the 50Gb to /dev2 and give back 5Gb to /dev1. Many thanks. PS : OS is AIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increasing ufs file system size in solaris

How do i increase the filesystem size on a root partition? There is a slice with root on it, its like 2 gigs and nothing else is broken out except home. I want to increase root filesystem (and slice) and break out /usr and /var. This is solaris 9, only has solaris volume manager on it. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Increasing File system

Dear all.... I want to increase the file system /u01 from 5 GB to 8GB. So what would be the command... Thanx in Advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rosyblue
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best ways of increasing space on a partition

Hi, On one of our solaris servers, the root partition has filled up,(it was poorly sized in the first place), Does anyone have any advice about the best way to add space to a partition. I'm sure I've read how to do this somewhere before but just can't remember...:( A colleague has suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kenny123m
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing swap space

I searched the archives first, but found that there are alot of mixed answers on whether swap space can or can not be increased. Some postings said swap space can be increased using the swap or growfs commands while other postings said you can not increase the permanent size of the swap space. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
1 Replies

7. Solaris

increasing file system size

Hi Can anyone explain me how to increase the filesystem size. We can do it when the system is running? It needs an reboot? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Increasing allocated space to a mount - possible?

Hey guys, I am somewhat new to Solaris - and very new when it comes to mounts. My problem is that when I installed Solaris, I allocated way too little diskspace to my / mount (it first became obvious now, however, because of new needs). bash-3.00# df -h Filesystem size ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
25 Replies

9. Linux

Increasing total data size per file system request for block drivers

Hi All, I am writing a block driver for a 2GB SD card where i get the total amount of data per request as follows: struct request *req; uint card_addr,total_bytes; struct request_queue *rq = BlkDev->queue; req = elv_next_request(rq); .. .. card_addr = req->sector*512;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Help with increasing file system size in Sun OS 5.9

Hi, I have recently taken up to support these SunOS 5.9 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 boxes and got a request to increase the size of /backup01 as its getting filled up quickly and can't play much on it as these are production servers. As I have no idea about how to do this, can anyone let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
0 Replies
devfs(7FS)                                                         File Systems                                                         devfs(7FS)

NAME
devfs - Devices file system DESCRIPTION
The devfs filesystem manages a name space of all devices under the Solaris operating environment and is mounted during boot on the /devices name space. The /devices name space is dynamic and reflects the current state of accessible devices under the Solaris operating environment. The names of all attached device instances are present under /devices. The content under /devices is under the exclusive control of the devfs filesystem and cannot be changed. The system may be configured to include a device in one of two ways: By means of dynamic reconfiguration (DR), using, for example, cfgadm(1M). For devices driven by driver.conf(4) enumeration, edit the driver.conf file to add a new entry, then use update_drv(1M) to cause the system to re-read the driver.conf file and thereby enumerate the instance. The device may be attached through a number of system calls and programs, including open(2), stat(2) and ls(1). During device attach, the device driver typically creates minor nodes corresponding to the device via ddi_create_minor_node(9F). If the attach is successful, one or more minor nodes referring to the device are created under /devices. Operations like mknod(2), mkdir(2) and creat(2) are not supported in /devices. FILES
/devices Mount point for devfs file system SEE ALSO
devfsadm(1M), vfstab(4), attach(9E) NOTES
The /devices name space cannot be unmounted. All content at or below the /devices name space is an implementation artifact and subject to incompatible change or removal without notifi- cation. SunOS 5.10 26 Oct 2004 devfs(7FS)