Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file? Post 302842185 by rohit_shinez on Thursday 8th of August 2013 03:01:39 PM
Old 08-08-2013
Hi ths would give me searching "" and printing but i dont want to avoid Pipe delimited as well my file is totally having columns with pipe dilimted so i want to cosider if "xyz|zzz" occurs it should take as single col

Code:
xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|12 ...

$1 - xx
$2 - yy
$3 - xyz|zzz
$4 - 12

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split pipe delimited file

I have a pipe delimited input file as below. First byte of the each line indicate the record type. Then i need to split the file based on record_type = null,0,1,2,6 and create 5 files. How do i do this in a ksh script? Pls help |sl||SL|SL|SL|1996/04/03|1988/09/15|C|A|sl||||*|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njgirl
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate a pipe ( | ) delimited file?

:)Hi Friends, I have certain log files extracted. I want it to be converted in pipe ( | ) delimited file. How do i do it? E.g. Account Balance : 123456789 Rs O/P (Account Balance: | 123456789 Rs) Account Balance (Last) > 987654321 Rs O/P (Account Balance (Last) | 987654321 Rs) Last... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting from pipe delimited file.

Hey, I am new to regualar expression. I wanted to extract the information from a pipe delimited file which has some entries like L|S2CMG1B|||-11178399||1|-8.65|IRCSH|BOND||||N|S|IRDL|AUD||CRP|STD|CRP|M|0|1|||CSH||||OTHER|01|DE|KFW|50418Y9T5|||||||||||2|||||| In this I want to extract the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leepan2008
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert a pipe delimited file to a':" delimited file

i have a file whose data is like this:: osr_pe_assign|-120|wg000d@att.com|4| osr_evt|-21|wg000d@att.com|4| pe_avail|-21|wg000d@att.com|4| osr_svt|-11|wg000d@att.com|4| pe_mop|-13|wg000d@att.com|4| instar_ready|-35|wg000d@att.com|4| nsdnet_ready|-90|wg000d@att.com|4|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete last value from pipe delimited file

I have a large(ish) pipe delimited file. The last line of the file contains a total row count and a checksum: END|1537451|1328569446 After making other adjustments to the file, I need to strip out the checksum and apply a new value - I have a script to generate the checksum and 'cat' it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: relentl3ss
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a space delimited file into a pipe delimited file using shellscript?

Hi All, I have space delimited file similar to the one as shown below.. I need to convert it as a pipe delimited, the values inside the pipe delimited file should be as highlighted... AA ATIU2345098809 009697 005374 BB ATIU2345097809 005445 006518 CC ATIU9685098809 003215 003571 DD... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a pipe delimited file

Hi Guys, i am reading a pipe delimited file using awk command. I have tested the gawk separately. it was fine. But when i execute the script. i am getting the following error saying command not found. Can somebody point out as what i am doing wrong. Cheers!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check Whether File is Pipe Delimited

Can anybody help me how to check whether a file is Pipe delimited or not? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allwin333
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)