Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assistiance in small bash script Post 302834969 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 21st of July 2013 04:12:48 AM
Old 07-21-2013
You need something like:
Code:
if [ "$($SERVICE status)" =  "some status string" ])
then

to compare the textual status output of the xinetd stop/start script...

If the xinetd stop / start script outputs a return code; you could try something like:
Code:
if ! $SERVICE status > /dev/null 2>&1
then

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in a small script

Hi all, I have a file of the following format - EXPRPT:SCN:1.1706E+10:SEQ_START:121652:SEQ_END:121664:0 ( This file name is variable and changes daily) Now in the same directory I have another set of files of the format - EXPRPT.log.0001.0000121669 Now what I am trying to do is to ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

small script help

here is a small script: if ; then echo please enter an argument fi if [ "$1" = "tom"; then a=$1 echo $a fi here is my question. if the script name is j.sh and I run it : j.sh from shell prompt: without a parameter: it prints please enter an argument but if I go with . j.sh (current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkl1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

small script

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I just want a little script to check the no. of processes are equal to 8, then echo a successful message otherwise echo a unsuccessful message. Please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: everurs789
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A small project with bash script and craigslist

Before I start, I'm posting this for community knowledge, not to offend anyone. I thought it was an interesting project so that's why I'm sharing it. In the notorious erotic classified ads of craigslist, thousands of individuals post classifieds, using the internet to sell themselves with an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hexpill
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a small script

Hello all, i have a batmail process running on my machine(java process). i just need a script we should detect whether the batchnail is running or not.If not it should restart it. Can anyone assist me on this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rayzone
1 Replies

7. AIX

Need help in a small script

Hello all, could somebody help..? I have following 6 files (with white spaces in their names) This is file This is file1 This is file2 This is file3 This is file4 This is file5 This is file6 I tried to run the below script, and it did not give me desired ouput.. $ for i in `ls -1` >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with small script

Hi I have the below file Name=abc Yr=2011 Mon=05 My script should be in such a way that whenever I run it then Month should increment by 1 and if the month is 12 then when I run the script then year should incremented by 1 and month Should become 01(I.e jan) Thanks for the help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a bash script and small C program for a homework assignment

Here's the assignment. I'll bold the parts that are rough for me. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit lol. The syntax is, of course, where my issues lie, for the most part. I don't have a lot of programming experience at all :/. I'd post what I've already done, but I'm so lost I really don't know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk101
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD