Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitoring windows logs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Monitoring windows logs Post 302834967 by bakunin on Sunday 21st of July 2013 03:44:42 AM
Old 07-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySmart
is it possible to monitor log files that are on a windows server, from a linux/unix host?

i'm thinking that the directory that the files are located in on windows can be be mounted on the linux host, and then a script or tool can just monitor the log as though it were local?
That will work perfectly. Windows and Unix use different protocol stacks, so you need some software. In the TCP/IP-world there is NFS, which is used to mount remote (parts of) filesystems locally. The respective protocol in NetBIOS (the protocol stack Windows uses) is called SMB.

Either use a NFS server daemon for Windows to export the part with the log files and then NFS-mount it on the Unix system or install a SMB-client on the Unix system to mount the (SMB-)shared Windows drive. Example products for the former would be FreeNFS, an example for the latter would be SAMBA. I am sure there are other similar products for both options too.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix performance monitoring via Windows/NT

We are trying to Monitor Unix via Window95/98 on an NT network. Is there anyone that could point us in the direction on software that runs in Windows on a Telnet connection that we could use to accomplish this? We have tried a program called Unix Watcher by Etasoft and can' get it to connect. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: btrout
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl Scripting for monitoring logs

Hi, I am new to perl. I want to write a perl script to monitor logs. Where i want to monitor exceptions logged or any kind of error strings. I have a dir(On Solaris) with multiple log file which keeps rolling to .gz file after some time in that same dir. These logs files size keeps on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solitare123
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Log monitoring in windows

Hi, I'd like to know if there is a way to monitor a log file conitnuously for one or more strings and if found, send an alarm. It should also take care not to inlcude the old log file entries. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to view the unix logs in windows ??

Hi ! I have a FTP site, where I softlinked my server log file. Now I want to view the logs in IE as I do in unix Some kind of free tool should be there, Can somebody provide me a pointer. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logs access in windows fetching the data from a unix server

How I can get the logs that are getting stored in specific location in unix server through an Apache web server installed in unix server? Requirement is to access the logs through the URL in windows browser without any access. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvida
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

windows server hardware monitoring

:wall:hi all, as hp support pack has hpasm, hpacu command using in linux server to show and monitor hareware status. hpacu command was avaialbe in windows server also, but where can find hpasm command in windows, it looks hp support pack not support hpasm in windows. any one can help? an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxlee24
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to send AIX logs to windows

good day all how to send aix syslogs to a shared folder in windows regards , (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to parse multiple windows event logs.

Hi all, I am developing a log parsing agent in perl to send windows Event logs to Zenoss Monitoring tool. Using Win32::EventLog i can able to get the Event messages but only one Eventype eg Application or System could able to parse at a time. Can you please help to how to open mutiple eventlogs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kar_333
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for monitoring logs

hi, i'm using unix solaris 5.8. I have to write a shell script for monitoring logs. whenever the logs are not updated more than one hour an alert will be send to my mail. I'm new to Unix, so could anyone help me to find this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arasu
3 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

How to monitoring windows process using nagios CheckProcState?

Hello, I am trying to get correct syntax to monitoring process running on windows server using CheckProcState. when i am trying below command whether notepad.exe running or not. its showing process running. Could you please provide me correct syantx. /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
0 Replies
SHOWMOUNT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      SHOWMOUNT(8)

NAME
showmount -- show remote NFS mounts on host SYNOPSIS
showmount [-Ae36] [-a | -d] [host] DESCRIPTION
showmount shows status information about the NFS server on host. By default it prints the names of all hosts that have NFS file systems mounted on the host. See NFS: Network File System Protocol Specification, RFC 1094, Appendix A, and NFS: Network File System Version 3 Protocol Specification, Appendix I, for a detailed description of the protocol. -A Search for NFS servers advertised via Bonjour. -a List all mount points in the form: host:dirpath -d List directory paths of mount points instead of hosts. -e Show the host's exports list. -3 Use mount protocol Version 3, compatible with NFS Version 3. -6 Use only IPv6 addresses to contact servers. SEE ALSO
mount(1), mountd(8), nfsd(8), mDNSResponder(8) BUGS
The mount daemon running on the server only has an idea of the actual mounts, since the NFS server is stateless. showmount will only display the information as accurately as the mount daemon reports it. HISTORY
The showmount utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution September 26, 2010 4th Berkeley Distribution