Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assistiance in small bash script Post 302834957 by Aviel.shani on Sunday 21st of July 2013 01:32:34 AM
Old 07-21-2013
Assistiance in small bash script

Hi All,
i wrote an simple script, that will monitor some services ,and if particular service will found down ,the code will restarts the service and message about the process will be sent on mail.

I have a problem somewhere in the syntax that the script initializes the service even if is up ..

Your help please, what should I fix the code :
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# running. If its not it is restarted and an email is sent to
# the configured mailbox.
SERVICE=/etc/init.d/xinetd
MAILBOX=*********
STATUS="/etc/init.d/xinetd status"
if [ "$SERVICE status" != 'xinetd is stopped' ]
then
  /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
  $STATUS | mail -s "the xinet.d service getting restart" $MAILBOX
fi
exit 0

Last edited by Scott; 07-21-2013 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in a small script

Hi all, I have a file of the following format - EXPRPT:SCN:1.1706E+10:SEQ_START:121652:SEQ_END:121664:0 ( This file name is variable and changes daily) Now in the same directory I have another set of files of the format - EXPRPT.log.0001.0000121669 Now what I am trying to do is to ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

small script help

here is a small script: if ; then echo please enter an argument fi if [ "$1" = "tom"; then a=$1 echo $a fi here is my question. if the script name is j.sh and I run it : j.sh from shell prompt: without a parameter: it prints please enter an argument but if I go with . j.sh (current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkl1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

small script

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I just want a little script to check the no. of processes are equal to 8, then echo a successful message otherwise echo a unsuccessful message. Please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: everurs789
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A small project with bash script and craigslist

Before I start, I'm posting this for community knowledge, not to offend anyone. I thought it was an interesting project so that's why I'm sharing it. In the notorious erotic classified ads of craigslist, thousands of individuals post classifieds, using the internet to sell themselves with an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hexpill
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a small script

Hello all, i have a batmail process running on my machine(java process). i just need a script we should detect whether the batchnail is running or not.If not it should restart it. Can anyone assist me on this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rayzone
1 Replies

7. AIX

Need help in a small script

Hello all, could somebody help..? I have following 6 files (with white spaces in their names) This is file This is file1 This is file2 This is file3 This is file4 This is file5 This is file6 I tried to run the below script, and it did not give me desired ouput.. $ for i in `ls -1` >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with small script

Hi I have the below file Name=abc Yr=2011 Mon=05 My script should be in such a way that whenever I run it then Month should increment by 1 and if the month is 12 then when I run the script then year should incremented by 1 and month Should become 01(I.e jan) Thanks for the help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a bash script and small C program for a homework assignment

Here's the assignment. I'll bold the parts that are rough for me. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit lol. The syntax is, of course, where my issues lie, for the most part. I don't have a lot of programming experience at all :/. I'd post what I've already done, but I'm so lost I really don't know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk101
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)