Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete lines with a word and their above lines Post 302834587 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 19th of July 2013 10:30:33 AM
Old 07-19-2013
Quote:

Code:
awk 'NF{v=$0;getline;if($0!="***no hit***") print v RS $0 RS " "}' file

Hello Yoda,

Sorry to bother you, could you please explaoin this great command of awk.
I will be grateful to you.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines containing a specific word in afile

Hi, Please suggest how to write a shell script which delets all the lines containing the word unix in the files supplied as argument in the shell. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sireesha9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a word and delete consecutive lines below it

Hi all coders, I need a help to process some data. I have this file, 3 09/21/08 03:32:07 started undef mino Oracle nmx004.wwdc.numonyx.co m Message Text : The Oracle session with the PID 1103 has a CPU time consuming of 999.00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines in a file that have duplicates or derive the lines that aper once

Input: a b b c d d I need: a c I know how to get this (the lines that have duplicates) : b d sort file | uniq -d But i need opossite of this. I have searched the forum and other places as well, but have found solution for everything except this variant of the problem. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: necroman08
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all lines before a specific word?

Let's say we have a file containing: alllllsadfsdasdf qwdDDDaassss ccxxcxc#2222 dssSSSSddDDDD D1Sqn2NYOHgTI Hello Alex ssS@3 Ok, and let's say we want to delete all words from D1Sqn2NYOHgTI and back, this means to delete the words (and the lines of them) : alllllsadfsdasdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to delete all lines from a group of files except the 1st 2 lines

Hello, I have a group of text files with many lines in each file. I need to delete all the lines in each and only leave 2 lines in each file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)