Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to set gateway address to a particular interface? Post 302834559 by hicksd8 on Friday 19th of July 2013 08:51:39 AM
Old 07-19-2013
What do you mean by "a particular interface"? Do you have multiple interfaces?

The easy answer is to edit or create the file /etc/defaultrouter and insert the address of the default router (gateway). This file is ascii and editable and should contain just an ip address of the router and nothing else (first line of file, left justified). This change would be permanent.

For example:

Code:

Does that help (or did you already know that)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP address and gateway info

How can I change the IP address and gateway info on a unix server? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gguzman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying IP Address/Gateway/Subnet in SCO Unix

Hi, I'm new to unix and have absolutely no experience with it. I am trying to change the network setting on the only computer on our network with SCO Unix. We switched ISP's and now have a new set of IP's. I can't for the life of me figure out how to go in and change these settings, please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PBNOSGT
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gateway address

How can I change the gateway address on my sco Openserver 5.0.6. A cisco firewall is recently installed but the gateway on the system is still pointing at the old one. I want it to use the gateway address of the router. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshokunbi
2 Replies

4. Programming

how we can get gateway address

how we can get the gateway address. i know gethostname used for ipaddress how we can get the system gateway address. thank u inadvance, sree (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set server's ip address, router, network mask and set if it is an internal or external ip?

Hello, I need to write a program which sets server's ip address, router, network mask. Program also should set if it is an internal or external ip. Maybe someone can help me ? Any information from u is very useful :b: I stopped at .. :( #!/bin/sh A=`hostname -i` echo "server ip address is $A"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagaruika
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns at same time

Is there a command that can lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns all at the same. I know ifconfig can lookup ip address and subnet mask. I know route -n can lookup gateway. Not sure about a dns command. So I hope there is a way to lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns all at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default Gateway address question

Hi, Using Redhat 6.1 with all the latest patches. I have the default gateway address but it never gets loaded. I have to add that manually? Not sure. Any idea. Is there any other place which I need to add? /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 DEVICE="em1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Set new gateway for route to internet

Hi all, i have a rhel 6.2 with a default gateway. This server is an Intranet office with no internet access. DNS are already configured and it's possible to resolve my target. My goal is to link my application (apache forward) only to http://mytarget.yyy through a new gateway (That does... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamose
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
TRACEROUTE6(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    TRACEROUTE6(8)

NAME
traceroute6 -- print the route IPv6 packets will take to a network node SYNOPSIS
traceroute6 [-adIlnNrvU] [-f firsthop] [-g gateway] [-m hoplimit] [-p port] [-q probes] [-s src] [-w waittime] [-A as_server] target [datalen] DESCRIPTION
The traceroute6 utility uses the IPv6 protocol hop limit field to elicit an ICMPv6 TIME_EXCEEDED response from each gateway along the path to some host. The only mandatory parameter is the destination host name or IPv6 address. The default probe datagram carries 12 bytes of payload, in addi- tion to the IPv6 header. The size of the payload can be specified by giving a length (in bytes) after the destination host name. Other options are: -a Turn on AS# lookups for each hop encountered. -A as_server Turn on AS# lookups and use the given server instead of the default. -d Debug mode. -f firsthop Specify how many hops to skip in trace. -g gateway Specify intermediate gateway (traceroute6 uses routing header). -I Use ICMP6 ECHO instead of UDP datagrams. -l Print both host hostnames and numeric addresses. Normally traceroute6 prints only hostnames if -n is not specified, and only numeric addresses if -n is specified. -m hoplimit Specify maximum hoplimit, up to 255. The default is 30 hops. -n Do not resolve numeric address to hostname. -N Use a packet with no upper layer header for the probes, instead of UDP datagrams. -p port Set UDP port number to port. -q probes Set the number of probe per hop count to probes. -r Bypass the normal routing tables and send directly to a host on an attached network. If the host is not on a directly-connected net- work, an error is returned. This option corresponds to the SO_DONTROUTE socket option; it can be used to ping a local host through an interface that has no route through it (e.g., after the interface was dropped by a routing daemon). -s src Src specifies the source IPv6 address to be used. -U Use UDP datagrams for the probes. This is the default. -v Be verbose. -w waittime Specify the delay time between probes. This program prints the route to the given destination and the round-trip time to each gateway, in the same manner as traceroute. Here is a list of possible annotations after the round-trip time for each gateway: !N Destination Unreachable - No Route to Host. !P Destination Unreachable - Administratively Prohibited. !S Destination Unreachable - Not a Neighbour. !A Destination Unreachable - Address Unreachable. ! This is printed if the hop limit is <= 1 on a port unreachable message. This means that the packet got to the destination, but that the reply had a hop limit that was just large enough to allow it to get back to the source of the traceroute6. This was more interesting in the IPv4 case, where some IP stack bugs could be identified by this behaviour. EXIT STATUS
The traceroute6 utility will exit with 0 on success, and non-zero on errors. SEE ALSO
ping(8), ping6(8), traceroute(8) HISTORY
The traceroute6 utility first appeared in WIDE hydrangea IPv6 protocol stack kit. BSD
August 24, 2009 BSD