Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Learning System Administration: What to focus on? Post 302833817 by ScottLew on Thursday 18th of July 2013 12:58:49 AM
Old 07-18-2013
Learning System Administration: What to focus on?

In the fall I am taking courses in System Admin and Networking Admin, along with Cisco classes. Sometime next year I hope to get Red Hat and CCNA certifications, then try to get some experience and a job.

I am wondering what I can focus on in the meantime (and in my spare time) that will contribute to my knowledge of systems administration.

I have some experience with C++, PHP and MySql programming but they're not really related to SysAdmin.

I was thinking learning Perl would be more helpful. Or if I could do some type of project. I'd appreciate any other ideas though. I would like to focus on something that I can put to use and/or gain experience in SysAdmin.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Administration

I have been working with UNIX (HP-UX) now for a couple of years. Have become quite capable in shell scripting and general UNIX use. The local university offers a certification course in UNIX administration which I am considering taking. However, the certification is geared toward UNIX in general... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
13 Replies

2. AIX

AU14 AIX 5L System Administration I: Implementation

hello everybody I'm studying this book called AU13 AIX 5L Basics, but i almost finish and I need to have the next one whose name is 1. AU14 AIX 5L System Administration I: Implementation I know these are several books, if someone had it en PDF, please let me know how I could get it. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
0 Replies

3. Solaris

System Administration Certification

I'm planning to take System Administration certification in SUN Solaris. Can some one suggest me if there are any links are URLs to find sample question papers. Pharos (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information about Unix System Administration

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section... if I didn't, please forgive me :) I've been looking all over the web for information on system administration. I'd like to become a Unix System Administrator but I want to find some more info about the job. Can someone please... (54 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
54 Replies

5. Solaris

Various System Administration Questions

Sorry I'm kind of desperate here :wall:, there's a security audit coming next week :( and I can't seem to find solutions for the questions below :confused:. 1) I need to limit usage on account during non-working hours. There's no /etc/security/time.conf file in my system should I create it? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShouTenraku
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System/Network Administration Tools

Sorry for making this post so generic. I'm trying to see if there are tools that exist that look at local network/system configurations and find problems... for example: - NTP server configured that cannot be reached (can cause the system to drift because nobody is alerted to the fact that the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I focus efforts on learning Perl or develop skills in awk, sed, etc

Good afternoon, I am not trying to start a debate. Please don't take it that way. I'm not trying to make this a Perl versus Bash scripts thing. I have been writing shell scripts for several years. I am not 100%, but I seem to get the job done. I would like to start focusing on spending... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies
XISETFOCUS(3)															     XISETFOCUS(3)

NAME
XISetFocus, XIGetFocus - set or get the device's focus. SYNOPSIS
#include <X11/extensions/XInput2.h> Status XISetFocus( Display *display, int deviceid, Window focus, Time time); Status XIGetFocus( Display *display, Window *focus_return); display Specifies the connection to the X server. deviceid Specifies the device whose focus is to be queried or changed. focus The new focus window. focus_return Returns the current focus window. time A valid timestamp or CurrentTime. DESCRIPTION
XISetFocus changes the focus of the specified device ans its last-focus-change time. It has no effect if the specified time is earlier than the current last-focus-change time or is later than the current X server time. Otherwise, the last-focus-change time is set to the specified time. CurrentTime is replaced by the current X server time). XISetFocus causes the X server to generate core, XI and XI2 focus events. If the focus window is None all keyboard events by this device are discarded until a new focus window is set. Otherwise, if focus is a window, it becomes the device's focus window. If a generated device event would normally be reported to this window or one of its inferiors, the event is reported as usual. Otherwise, the event is reported relative to the focus window. The specified focus window must be viewable at the time XISetFocus is called, or a BadMatch error results. If the focus window later becomes not viewable, the focus reverts to the parent (or the closest viewable ancestor. When the focus reverts, the X server generates core, XI and XI2 focus events but the last-focus-change time is not affected. Attempting to set the focus on a master pointer device or an attached slave device will result in a BadDevice error. XISetFocus can generate BadDevice, BadMatch, BadValue, and BadWindow errors. DIAGNOSTICS
BadValue A value is outside of the permitted range. BadDevice An invalid device was specified. The device does not exist or is not a appropriate for the type of change. BadMatch The window is not viewable. BadWindow A value for a Window argument does not name a defined Window. 05/15/2013 XISETFOCUS(3)