Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Korn shell - evaluating string gives wrong results due to limitations Post 302833033 by jlliagre on Tuesday 16th of July 2013 06:24:01 AM
Old 07-16-2013
The chance for a command named "5.2+2.5" to exist on the OP machine is low enough to rule it out thus I assume extra parenthesis were simply missing.

In any case, psychocandy doesn't remember the command typed so my guess is he also fails to remember correctly what was displayed by this command.

This leaves not that much to investigate ...

---------- Post updated at 12:24 ---------- Previous update was at 12:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychocandy
It was something to do with caused by stack overflow?
No. Stack overflow is not something to suspect with so little and so low numbers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script giving wrong results....

hi, I have this script which gives me the result... #! /usr/bin/sh set -x cd /home/managar a=1 while true do if then echo " File log.txt exists in this directory " exit 0 fi echo " File has not arrived yes..." sleep 3 let a=a+1 if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to: Parse text string into variables using Korn shell

I am writing a script to keep check on free disk space, and I would like to find a way to parse $LINE (see code below) into a numeric value (for free disk space percentage) and a string value (for mount point). If possible, I would like to avoid sed or any additional use of awk since I am not very... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating command output (shell script )

Hello, in a script i would like to evaluate a command output with a grep, for example, to know if the parameter defined by the user is in the output. Something like: the_command | grep $1 Please, how is the way to evalulate in this a script, like if echo "incorrect parameter, not in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristegui
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell evaluating value to a variable

Hi, I have the following requirement. V="First" R="V" echo $$R The output should be First. How do i achieve this. how do we evaluate the $R and evaluate it to $V as $R contains V and $V is First. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Can't install Unicode::String due to String.so not found

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/Unicode-String-2.09.tar.gz Checking if your kit is complete... Looks good Writing Makefile for Unicode::String cp String.pm blib/lib/Unicode/String.pm cp lib/Unicode/CharName.pm blib/lib/Unicode/CharName.pm /usr/bin/perl /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing in Korn Shell

Hi everybody, I have a string stored in a variable called record: record="SNMPv2-SMI::ent.9.9.43.1.3.9.2 = Timeticks: (177330898) 20 days, 12:35:08.98" I want to write some regular expressions good for Korn Shell to extract the number between parenthesis, in this case 177330898, and put it in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omoyne
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell: check the content of a string of a variable

hello, i have a variable which should have following content : var="value1" or var="value2" or var="value2:*" # example: value2:22 how can i check : - if the content is ok (value1 / value2* ) - the two options of "value2" when content is example "value2:22" , i want to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk evaluating a string as a math expression

Hi, I am writing a script in awk trying to replace strings that are math expressions with their result. For example, I have a file that looks like this: 5-1 32/8-1 4*12 17+1-3 I would like to get the following output: 4 3 48 15 I tried doing it the following way (using the "bc"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: avi.levi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell manipulating the string into dynamic currency number

Conversion of string into currency value.. ex1: number_of_positions=2 input_string=345987 Output= 345,987.00 ex2: number_of_positions=4 input_string=1345987 Output= 1,345,987.0000 Please respond as soon as possible edit by bakunin: we will gladly respond as soon as... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: suren.bills
15 Replies

10. IP Networking

Packet going out of wrong interface due to OS automatically added cache route with lower metric

RHEL 7.0, IPV6 Scenario: I have routed specific network using network scripts. 1. "ip -6 route show" shows that route has been added. ( with metric 1024) 2. Ping of the specific IP through that route is successful. 3. Now after few days, for some reason, we see that cache route appears for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msr1981
3 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)