Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Putty Serial Connection problems Post 302832357 by br1an on Sunday 14th of July 2013 01:50:46 PM
Old 07-14-2013
Putty Serial Connection problems

Hi forums,

I was wondering if any of you have faced this problem that I have been having for quite some time now regarding serial connection with putty to my Solaris Box Sunfire v250 and Sun v220 and sun v440.

The serial connection freezes on my Windows 7 64 and 32 Bit machines.
I unplug and plug it back in and try to reconnect the connection only to get an error message "Unable to open connection"
The only remedy was to force restart my Windows 7 machine.
Is there any processes or services I can force it to shut down rather than force rebooting my Windows machine every time this happens?

I also notice in my device manager when the Serial connection freezes the "COM4 serial to Bridge" device is no where to be seen.

I am using putty version .62
Serial: COM4
Speed: 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control: XON/XOFF

Thank you very much Smilie

Last edited by br1an; 07-14-2013 at 03:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux serial connection question

Hi, I need to connect from an hp-ux box to a device that only have a serial port. When I need to do that from solaris to that device I used put a null modem and type tip hardwire, but I'm new with hp-ux and I don't have the tip command. Any idea? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enabling backspace usage in Putty SSH connection ?

I have started a new job for 2 weeks not. I am distributing software packages through Tivoli and connecting to the servers using Putty in X11 and SSH. But on the command line, the backspace is disabled. I know its a command I have to enter in my .profile but I don't remember. There is a Ctrl+H... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

ip communication through serial connection

I have serial modem connection between two computers. We have to login the remote computer through ip address. How can I get the ip address in this connection? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use putty problems in windows

Hello all, I have encountered a strange question. I installed a Ubuntu 8.10 in the VMware in the XP, and use putty to connect to ubuntu. Everything is fun except I can't use the wget in putty, neither does command "sudo apt-get ***". But they are OK in the VM. Can someone help me out? Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpltp
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Redirect an application with a Serial connection

Hi community, I've currently working on SUN Server V490 and I'm connecting with a Serial port (I DON'T HAVE ANY IP CONNECTIVITY)...I need to redirect the graphic interface of Oracle with the dbca command; I know a way with an IP Connectivity ( use a X-Server and then setenv DISPLAY... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
7 Replies

6. Solaris

USB to Serial Adapter connection

Hi Community, I'm working on Sun Server V490 with my PC (with OS Vista). I'm using a USB to Serial Adapter to connect to Server directly. I've this problem, I'm connecting to Server with Putty client with this settings: boud rate 9600, 8 bit, 0 parity, 0 flow control, but after to have typed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
4 Replies

7. AIX

serial modem connection

I configured the serial modem in my P6-550 AIX 5.3 box But i dont have telephone line. when I run the command # cu -l /dev/tty1 the output is as follows does it mean that my modem is responding to the command? can i say my serial port is working and communicating fine? Connected ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serial Connection sun blade 100 to pc

Hi, If someone please help as my efforts been exhausted in connecting my sun blade 100 serial to my pc. I am using null modem with DB9(female) in sun blade and DB9(female, using gender change) in pc. I am trying both hyper/putty 9600 8 N 1 configurations. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younics
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to delay password entry - putty connection manager

Hi all, putty connection manager is great but when attempting to sudo or ssh to another box via the post login commands it is subject to issues due to network latency (what happens is that pcm enters the password before the unix box is ready to receive it). Is there any clever way I can make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Putty SSH connection not working

I am trying to connect to a solaris server using putty from a indows client. SSH connection is not working. The terminal indow just gives an error message "Network error:Connection refused". I verified SSHD and its running correctly! #svcs -p ssh STATE STIME FMRI online 17:54:44... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: herbich1985
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)