Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users An overall function as a restart... Post 302832175 by wisecracker on Saturday 13th of July 2013 05:56:24 AM
Old 07-13-2013
An overall function as a restart...

This is going to rasie a few eyebrows...

I have been thinking of running the WHOLE of the AudioScope project inside a function which I will call "restart()". A kind of wrapper function...

This is so that should there be anything that the user has set be wrong then a _cold_ start could be initialised again including deleting some Scope files if required...

I DO know that too many, (a lot of), recusions of this WILL cause a "segmenatation fault".

I was going to limit to say 5 restarts per session then any more and the program will stop.

The code like this:-
Code:
restart()
{
        ALL of the current and future scope code in here.
        Also restart can only be accessed from Command mode like...
        <pseudo_code>RESET calls restart()
}
restart

Alterntively if any of you know of any other way, like "GOTO" for example, then any input would be appreciated...
What are the opinions from you pro's.
I, as an amateur, would this sort of thing frowned upon?
Also, if, using this command a few times and then shutting down the program, AND, closing the terminal, can I guarantee the terminal closure will return all memory back to the pool?

I know I am asking some bizarre questions here but Google is not particularly my friend.
The Scope is now getting complex and making it _bullet_ proof is getting increasingly more difficult.

Thanks in advance...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

various restart commands ?

hi, i am running a Sun Solaris 8 Sparc machine. i would like to know the differences between the following commands : 1) init 6 2) reboot 3) shutdown -y -i6 -g0 any other machine restart commands (for multi-user mode)? pls help me. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restart a Daemon

Dear expert, How do i restart a daemon ? I know to use the kill <PID> command to shut down the daemon. But after terminate the daemon, how to restart it back ? :confused: Please advice, many thanks in advance !!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kseng2002
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a value from called function to the calling function

I have two scripts. script1.sh looks -------------------------------- #!/bin/bash display() { echo "Welcome to Unix" } display ----------------------------- Script2.sh #!/bin/bash sh script1.sh //simply calling script1.sh ------------------------------ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL SCRIPT Function Calling Another Function Please Help...

This is my function which is creating three variables based on counter & writing these variable to database by calling another function writeRecord but only one record is getting wrote in DB.... Please advise ASAP...:confused: function InsertFtg { FTGSTR="" echo "Saurabh is GREAT $#" let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.sonawane
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to step in one function after the function be executed in gdb?

In gdb, I can call one function with command "call", but how can I step in the function? I don't want to restart the program, but the function had been executed, gdb will execute next statement, and I don't know how to recall the function. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Modify File Name in each function before calling another function.

I have a script which does gunzip, zip and untar. Input to the script is file name and file directory (where file is located) I am reading the input parameters as follows: FILENAME=$1 FILEDIR=$2 I have created 3 functions that are as follows: 1) gunzip file 2) unzip file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will files, creaetd in one function of the same script will be recognized in another function?

Dear All. I have a script, which process files one by one. In the script I have two functions. one sftp files to different server the other from existing file create file with different name. My question is: Will sftp function recognize files names , which are created in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on awk for printing the function name inside each function

Hi, I am having script which contains many functions. Need to print each function name at the starting of the function. Like below, functionname() { echo "functionname" commands.... } I've tried like below, func=`grep "()" scriptname | cut -d "(" -f1` for i in $func do nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
gdm-restart(1m) 						   User Commands						   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)