Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a directory with previous date Post 302831883 by hicksd8 on Friday 12th of July 2013 06:21:10 AM
Old 07-12-2013
I'm not a HP-UX expert but talking generic Unix, the 'touch' command works on either a file or a directory.

Have you tried.............

Create new directory
Code:

mkdir <dirname>

Set timestamp of this directory
Code:

touch <opt> <timestamp> <dirname>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create directory named current date

Since this site solved my problems before, I am back for more (solutions) I down load via a script every day a file that has the same name as the file of the day before. I want to move that file to its own directory like: /archive/jul30 How do I capture the systems date in a script an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flowrats
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory create date

Hi, How do you find the create date of a directory? I can see the modification date using ls -l but I'm looking for the create date. Many thanks Helen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to create directory with the previous date

I need some help to complet the below script: DATE1=`date "+%d"` #DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` #DATE3=$DATE2`date "+%m%y"` DATE4=`date "+%a"` if ; then DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 3` else DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Year directory, date subdirectory and archive the file

Hi, After checking all the UNIX threads, I am able to come up with a solution so far. I am working on a shell script where it moves the files to a certain directory. The conditions to check are 1) Check if the file exists in the current directory. 2) Check if the destination directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a directory using current date

Hi, I have a question, is there any way I can, when i create a directory, put the current date on it so that the directory name will be "name-current date"? just curious (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aric87
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory named as the current date

I am preparing a shell script to backup a few config files on a daily basis, with a retention of 30 days. Need some help with syntax/examples: The shell script (running as cron) would require the following: 1. create a sub-directory within a specified (backup) directory, in the format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FeNiCrC_Neil
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create new directory by date followed by identifier and additional subdirectories

I have a bash that downloads a list and if that list has data in it then a new main directory is created (with the date) with several subdirectories (example1, example2, example3). My question is in that list there are portion of specific file types (.vcf.gz) - identifier towards the end that have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
NEWS(1) 							   USER COMMANDS							   NEWS(1)

NAME
news - display system news SYNOPSIS
news [-adDeflnpvxs] [[article1] [article2] ..] DESCRIPTION
The news command keeps you informed of news concerning the system. Each news item is contained in a separate file in the /var/lib/sysnews directory. Anyone having write permission to this directory can create a news file. If you run the news command without any flags, it displays every unread file in the /var/lib/sysnews directory. Each file is preceded by an appropriate header. To avoid reporting old news, the news command stores a currency time. The news command con- siders your currency time to be the date the $HOME/.news_time file was last modified. Each time you read the news, the modification time of this file changes to that of the reading. Only news item files posted after this time are considered unread. OPTIONS
-a, --all Display all news, also the already read news. -d, --datestamp Add a date stamp to each article name printed. this can only be used with the -nl flags. -D, --datefmt <fmt> Specify a date format, see the strftime(3) man page for more details. the default format is (%b %d %Y) -f, --newsdir <dir> Read news from an alternate newsdir. -l, --oneperline One article name per line. -n, --names Only show the names of news articles. -p, --page Pipe articles through $PAGER or more(1) if the $PAGER environment variable is not set. -s, --articles Reports the number of news articles. MAINTAINER OPTIONS
-e, --expire # Expire news older than # days. -x, --exclude a,b,c A comma separated list of articles which may not be expired. if a file named .noexpire exists in the /var/lib/sysnews direcory, filenames are read from it also. names in this file may be comma separated, and/or one per line. AUTHOR
Charles, <int@link.xs4all.nl> Linux 18 January 1995 NEWS(1)