Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl : How is file handling working here?? Post 302831881 by balajesuri on Friday 12th of July 2013 06:19:17 AM
Old 07-12-2013
Everytime you do read from a filehandle and store it in a scalar variable, then one line of input is read. (By one line, I mean the data until the next record separator).

Here is how it works internally:
When you open a filehandle, lets say, there's a mark that is at the beginning of file. The first time $rec = scalar <$INF> is encountered, the first line from file is read and referred by $rec. Now, the mark that we spoke of earlier, is at the character just after newline character (assuming newline as the default record separator). Now again when $rec = scalar <$INF> is encountered, one more line of data is read.

In the example code you provided in your post, a wrapper routine "readfile" reads one line of data and prints it.

The usual way of reading a file is to use a loop. Then again, that depends on what you really want to do:

Code:
open FH, "< /path/to/file";
while ($rec = <FH>) {
    print $rec;
}
close FH;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file handling problem in perl......

Hi, I am opening a file......then i am wrting some data into it......and i am reopening the file again but ......i get a error cannot open file....... $::file= "\adder\testfile.txt" open(TEST1,$::file); some write operation close(TEST1) open(TEST1,$::file) 'I GET A ERROR CAN OPEN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl redirect output to file ..not working

here is simple perl script i wanted for my net connection ... just to check if default gateway is pingable or not if not write in log file but problem is that i can not write in file i can print on STDOUT but not in file ...why so ?? same thing was there when i was tying to write on sockets... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl revers File handling

Hi Experts, I have a big text file, so I want read it at eof to upper bound !. after I use a fseek to go SEEK_END, is it possible to step up upperbound? Best Regards. Note that I'm used perl script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

4. Programming

XML Handling in Perl

Hi there, I'm newby in perl and XML. I can read and parse Xml with XML-Node upper XML::Parser, but how can I create XML tags and pack my individual data in it then send through socket. PLZ lead me :) Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String handling is not working inside if loop

Hi All, I am comparing two strings inside an if condition if the strings are same then it should go inside the loop else it should execute code given in else part. But there is a but inside my script Even if the if condition is true it is not going inside the loop also it is executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Parameters in Perl

Hi All, I'm pretty new to the forum and also to UNIX. I have a requirement for which I need some help. I have a script (example.script) where I get user inputs using the read command. I would need to pass the read-fetched input to a perl command (explained below) in my script. The part which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl help for file handling

$# some text $$ some text $@ some text $$. some text Mg1 some text Mg2 some text . . . Mg10 some text The above 10 lines are to be extracted except the lines starting from $#,$$.,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baig.abdul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL error handling

I have a PERL command line embedded in a UNIX script. The script doesn't handle errors coming out of this command. I'm processing large files and occassionally I run out of disk space and end up with half a file. perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/g' < TR_TMP_$4 > $4 How do I handle errors coming out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OTChancy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl file handling error

Hi, I am reading and file and writting each word to other file. where I have used array to store the data. I am getting below error as "Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at customize_split_raw.pl line 51, <IN_FILE> " Where my line 51 code is 50 foreach... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer123
8 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)