Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl : How is file handling working here?? Post 302831873 by siddharthjindal on Friday 12th of July 2013 05:56:38 AM
Old 07-12-2013
Perl : How is file handling working here??

Hi,

I have a perl script which is just reading from the file but what I would like to understand is how the counter is moving without using the loop in the script.

Below are the details:
Code:
$ more /tmp/abc.txt
This is 0
This is 1
This is 2
This is 3
This is 4
This is 5
This is 6
This is 7
This is 8
This is 9

Script to read the above file is as :
Code:
$ more file1.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
#
sub readfile
{
     my ($rec,$INFO);
     $INF=shift;
     if (defined($rec = scalar <$INF>))
     {
          print $rec;
     }
}
$file='/tmp/abc.txt';
open(xyz,$file);
$i=0;
$tes=readfile(xyz);
$tes=readfile(xyz);

when I am executing the above script, it is throwing the output as :

Code:
$ perl file1.pl
This is 0
This is 1

How counter in the file is moving to next row when I am not moving it and I am also not using any loops anywhere? I would just like to understand that? Does that mean loops are not required for moving through the file or I am getting it wrong somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags please, see PM.

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-12-2013 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: code tags and indention

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file handling problem in perl......

Hi, I am opening a file......then i am wrting some data into it......and i am reopening the file again but ......i get a error cannot open file....... $::file= "\adder\testfile.txt" open(TEST1,$::file); some write operation close(TEST1) open(TEST1,$::file) 'I GET A ERROR CAN OPEN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl redirect output to file ..not working

here is simple perl script i wanted for my net connection ... just to check if default gateway is pingable or not if not write in log file but problem is that i can not write in file i can print on STDOUT but not in file ...why so ?? same thing was there when i was tying to write on sockets... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl revers File handling

Hi Experts, I have a big text file, so I want read it at eof to upper bound !. after I use a fseek to go SEEK_END, is it possible to step up upperbound? Best Regards. Note that I'm used perl script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

4. Programming

XML Handling in Perl

Hi there, I'm newby in perl and XML. I can read and parse Xml with XML-Node upper XML::Parser, but how can I create XML tags and pack my individual data in it then send through socket. PLZ lead me :) Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String handling is not working inside if loop

Hi All, I am comparing two strings inside an if condition if the strings are same then it should go inside the loop else it should execute code given in else part. But there is a but inside my script Even if the if condition is true it is not going inside the loop also it is executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Parameters in Perl

Hi All, I'm pretty new to the forum and also to UNIX. I have a requirement for which I need some help. I have a script (example.script) where I get user inputs using the read command. I would need to pass the read-fetched input to a perl command (explained below) in my script. The part which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl help for file handling

$# some text $$ some text $@ some text $$. some text Mg1 some text Mg2 some text . . . Mg10 some text The above 10 lines are to be extracted except the lines starting from $#,$$.,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baig.abdul
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL error handling

I have a PERL command line embedded in a UNIX script. The script doesn't handle errors coming out of this command. I'm processing large files and occassionally I run out of disk space and end up with half a file. perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/g' < TR_TMP_$4 > $4 How do I handle errors coming out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OTChancy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl file handling error

Hi, I am reading and file and writting each word to other file. where I have used array to store the data. I am getting below error as "Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at customize_split_raw.pl line 51, <IN_FILE> " Where my line 51 code is 50 foreach... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer123
8 Replies
Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)

NAME
Plack::App::CGIBin - cgi-bin replacement for Plack servers SYNOPSIS
use Plack::App::CGIBin; use Plack::Builder; my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app; builder { mount "/cgi-bin" => $app; }; # Or from the command line plackup -MPlack::App::CGIBin -e 'Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app' DESCRIPTION
Plack::App::CGIBin allows you to load CGI scripts from a directory and convert them into a PSGI application. This would give you the extreme easiness when you have bunch of old CGI scripts that is loaded using cgi-bin of Apache web server. HOW IT WORKS
This application checks if a given file path is a perl script and if so, uses CGI::Compile to compile a CGI script into a sub (like ModPerl::Registry) and then run it as a persistent application using CGI::Emulate::PSGI. If the given file is not a perl script, it executes the script just like a normal CGI script with fork & exec. This is like a normal web server mode and no performance benefit is achieved. The default mechanism to determine if a given file is a Perl script is as follows: o Check if the filename ends with ".pl". If yes, it is a Perl script. o Open the file and see if the shebang (first line of the file) contains the word "perl" (like "#!/usr/bin/perl"). If yes, it is a Perl script. You can customize this behavior by passing "exec_cb" callback, which takes a file path to its first argument. For example, if your perl-based CGI script uses lots of global variables and such and are not ready to run on a persistent environment, you can do: my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new( root => "/path/to/cgi-bin", exec_cb => sub { 1 }, )->to_app; to always force the execute option for any files. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa SEE ALSO
Plack::App::File CGI::Emulate::PSGI CGI::Compile Plack::App::WrapCGI See also Plack::App::WrapCGI if you compile one CGI script into a PSGI application without serving CGI scripts from a directory, to remove overhead of filesystem lookups, etc. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-02 Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)