Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup root disks
Operating Systems Solaris Backup root disks Post 302831521 by fretagi on Thursday 11th of July 2013 05:34:34 AM
Old 07-11-2013
Backup root disks

Ok, I will try and come back to you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Backup for HW Mirrored Disks

We use SW mirroring (RAID1) using SVM for our SUN servers (which we OEM to end clients with our application on). When I need to make a tape backup for the server (disk), I disable mirroring and perform backup of the entire disk to tape using ufsdump. This process requires an outage and sensitive as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

3. Solaris

root backup

Hi I am using EBS 7.2 for backup. We have to shift server, before that i want to take root backup for all server. i don't know how to take entire root please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk mismatch while trying to zfs mirroring non-root disks

Hello All, I am trying to mirror two non-root hard drives using zfs. But "fmthard" fails when I try to copy the vtoc due to disk mismatch. Please help me. --- iostat command shows the disk to be similiar --- format command shows disk to be different :confused: --- c1t2d0 is the active... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/root restore backup exec

Hi we use backup exec to backup our linux servers... question is what if the linux server is corrupted (/root) and doesnt boot up .. how would the backup exec restore /root if the server cant even start? woukld we have to restore to another server then boot into rescue mode and copy across... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Mirorr Solaris 10 5/09 root disks at install time

I'm going to install a fresh Solaris 10 5/09 install on a UFS on a server with 2 disks attached to a SCSI controller and i want to mirror those disks at install time is there any to do this , As far as i know Jump start and live upgrade are the sole way to do this , is there anyways except... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Get # of disks as non-root

I'm trying to figure if there are commands I can run as non-root/non-privileged users to figure out the number of disks. I know I can use format but it needs root. Any idea? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PPPP
10 Replies

8. AIX

rsync backup root files

Hi, I am trying to use rsync utility through ssh to synchronize some root files of 2 servers. I have a rsyncusr user in each server. I configured ssh with no password. I set NOPASSWD in the /etc/sudoers file: rsyncusr ALL= NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync In order to make rsync able to sudo and be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samalogo
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Root Backup

Hello, In what cases we take backup of Root file system. Can someone explain please. Thanks & Regards, Bar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Backing up root disks

Hi ! I wonder if in solaris 10 there is a utility similar to ignite in HP-UX that backup entire file systems (/, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home). I have to backup only the root disk of a server, but ufsdump seem to be backing up individual file systems....only, am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies
root_archive(1M)														  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2: Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)