Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup root disks
Operating Systems Solaris Backup root disks Post 302831519 by hicksd8 on Thursday 11th of July 2013 05:30:08 AM
Old 07-11-2013
Not quite. On the remote server you don't need a new filesystem only to create a directory which (to use Windows terminology) you will 'share'.

Otherwise, yes, you've got it right.

Make sure to read the 'extra note' that I edited onto my previous post.

Restore is as I described.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Backup for HW Mirrored Disks

We use SW mirroring (RAID1) using SVM for our SUN servers (which we OEM to end clients with our application on). When I need to make a tape backup for the server (disk), I disable mirroring and perform backup of the entire disk to tape using ufsdump. This process requires an outage and sensitive as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

3. Solaris

root backup

Hi I am using EBS 7.2 for backup. We have to shift server, before that i want to take root backup for all server. i don't know how to take entire root please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk mismatch while trying to zfs mirroring non-root disks

Hello All, I am trying to mirror two non-root hard drives using zfs. But "fmthard" fails when I try to copy the vtoc due to disk mismatch. Please help me. --- iostat command shows the disk to be similiar --- format command shows disk to be different :confused: --- c1t2d0 is the active... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/root restore backup exec

Hi we use backup exec to backup our linux servers... question is what if the linux server is corrupted (/root) and doesnt boot up .. how would the backup exec restore /root if the server cant even start? woukld we have to restore to another server then boot into rescue mode and copy across... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Mirorr Solaris 10 5/09 root disks at install time

I'm going to install a fresh Solaris 10 5/09 install on a UFS on a server with 2 disks attached to a SCSI controller and i want to mirror those disks at install time is there any to do this , As far as i know Jump start and live upgrade are the sole way to do this , is there anyways except... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Get # of disks as non-root

I'm trying to figure if there are commands I can run as non-root/non-privileged users to figure out the number of disks. I know I can use format but it needs root. Any idea? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PPPP
10 Replies

8. AIX

rsync backup root files

Hi, I am trying to use rsync utility through ssh to synchronize some root files of 2 servers. I have a rsyncusr user in each server. I configured ssh with no password. I set NOPASSWD in the /etc/sudoers file: rsyncusr ALL= NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync In order to make rsync able to sudo and be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samalogo
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Root Backup

Hello, In what cases we take backup of Root file system. Can someone explain please. Thanks & Regards, Bar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Backing up root disks

Hi ! I wonder if in solaris 10 there is a utility similar to ignite in HP-UX that backup entire file systems (/, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home). I have to backup only the root disk of a server, but ufsdump seem to be backing up individual file systems....only, am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies
share(1M)																 share(1M)

NAME
share - make local resource available for mounting by remote systems SYNOPSIS
share [-F FSType] [-o specific_options] [-d description] [pathname] The share command exports, or makes a resource available for mounting, through a remote file system of type FSType. If the option -F FSType is omitted, the first file system type listed in /etc/dfs/fstypes is used as default. For a description of NFS specific options, see share_nfs(1M). pathname is the pathname of the directory to be shared. When invoked with no arguments, share displays all shared file sys- tems. -F FSType Specify the filesystem type. -o specific_options The specific_options are used to control access of the shared resource. (See share_nfs(1M) for the NFS specific options.) They may be any of the following: rw pathname is shared read/write to all clients. This is also the default behavior. rw=client[:client]... pathname is shared read/write only to the listed clients. No other systems can access pathname. ro pathname is shared read-only to all clients. ro=client[:client]... pathname is shared read-only only to the listed clients. No other systems can access pathname. Separate multiple options with commas. Separate multiple operands for an option with colons. See . -d description The -d flag may be used to provide a description of the resource being shared. Example 1: Sharing a Read-Only Filesystem This line will share the /disk file system read-only at boot time. share -F nfs -o ro /disk Example 2: Invoking Multiple Options The following command shares the filesystem /export/manuals, with members of the netgroup having read-only access and users on the speci- fied host having read-write access. share -F nfs -o ro=netgroup_name,rw=host1:host2:host3 /export/manuals /etc/dfs/dfstab list of share commands to be executed at boot time /etc/dfs/fstypes list of file system types, NFS by default /etc/dfs/sharetab system record of shared file systems See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mountd(1M), nfsd(1M), share_nfs(1M), shareall(1M), unshare(1M), attributes(5) Export (old terminology): file system sharing used to be called exporting on SunOS 4.x, so the share command used to be invoked as exportfs(1B) or /usr/sbin/exportfs. If share commands are invoked multiple times on the same filesystem, the last share invocation supersedes the previous--the options set by the last share command replace the old options. For example, if read-write permission was given to usera on /somefs, then to give read- write permission also to userb on /somefs: example% share -F nfs -o rw=usera:userb /somefs This behavior is not limited to sharing the root filesystem, but applies to all filesystems. 9 Dec 2004 share(1M)