Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup root disks
Operating Systems Solaris Backup root disks Post 302831505 by hicksd8 on Thursday 11th of July 2013 05:17:33 AM
Old 07-11-2013
Right then. Create a NFS share from the other box and mount it on this one.

Then use

Code:

fssnap

command to snapshot the root filesysytem, and then

Code:

ufsdump

command giving the remote NFS as the target for the dump. Job done.

Remember to delete the snapshot afterwards.
(You could script all this stuff.)

If you need to restore after a crash, boot from cd into single user, manually plumb, set ip address and mask, and 'up' the network interface, mount the remote NFS, 'newfs' your local root filesysytem, and ufsrestore the whole thing.

Obviously I don't know your experience level and the above may be too brief. Any questions just ask.

EXTRA NOTE: When you execute 'fssnap' this will output a special device name for the snapshot. This is the device you put in the ufsdump command line (NOT /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 or /). This special device reads the frozen snapshot of the filesysytem.

Last edited by hicksd8; 07-11-2013 at 06:26 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Backup for HW Mirrored Disks

We use SW mirroring (RAID1) using SVM for our SUN servers (which we OEM to end clients with our application on). When I need to make a tape backup for the server (disk), I disable mirroring and perform backup of the entire disk to tape using ufsdump. This process requires an outage and sensitive as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

3. Solaris

root backup

Hi I am using EBS 7.2 for backup. We have to shift server, before that i want to take root backup for all server. i don't know how to take entire root please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk mismatch while trying to zfs mirroring non-root disks

Hello All, I am trying to mirror two non-root hard drives using zfs. But "fmthard" fails when I try to copy the vtoc due to disk mismatch. Please help me. --- iostat command shows the disk to be similiar --- format command shows disk to be different :confused: --- c1t2d0 is the active... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/root restore backup exec

Hi we use backup exec to backup our linux servers... question is what if the linux server is corrupted (/root) and doesnt boot up .. how would the backup exec restore /root if the server cant even start? woukld we have to restore to another server then boot into rescue mode and copy across... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Mirorr Solaris 10 5/09 root disks at install time

I'm going to install a fresh Solaris 10 5/09 install on a UFS on a server with 2 disks attached to a SCSI controller and i want to mirror those disks at install time is there any to do this , As far as i know Jump start and live upgrade are the sole way to do this , is there anyways except... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Get # of disks as non-root

I'm trying to figure if there are commands I can run as non-root/non-privileged users to figure out the number of disks. I know I can use format but it needs root. Any idea? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PPPP
10 Replies

8. AIX

rsync backup root files

Hi, I am trying to use rsync utility through ssh to synchronize some root files of 2 servers. I have a rsyncusr user in each server. I configured ssh with no password. I set NOPASSWD in the /etc/sudoers file: rsyncusr ALL= NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync In order to make rsync able to sudo and be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samalogo
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Root Backup

Hello, In what cases we take backup of Root file system. Can someone explain please. Thanks & Regards, Bar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Backing up root disks

Hi ! I wonder if in solaris 10 there is a utility similar to ignite in HP-UX that backup entire file systems (/, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home). I have to backup only the root disk of a server, but ufsdump seem to be backing up individual file systems....only, am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log DESCRIPTION
The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross- indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands. The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation. Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup Server. When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number. Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BDB.DB0(5)