Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition advice
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Partition advice Post 302831099 by zaxxon on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 07:29:12 AM
Old 07-10-2013
When swap is not used on that box, you could turn it off with swapoff to make sure before resizing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Looking for some advice

I am looking for some advice on wether to use unix or red hat linux? I have played with most windows OS and Mac OS up to in and including OS X. any and all advice would be appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justawind
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for advice...

Hi. First of all, Im an msoft guy, and when it comes to linux/unix, I'm retarded. Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to start I want to automatically connect to a remote server. Then I need it to login(https) -insert the licensce in the box(vi) -based on that licensce, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bravo24601
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Need advice on soft partition

Hello All, Am trying to expand the soft partition which is in mirror. Am getting following error. Whether is it possible? or i am doing wrongly. Please assist. bash-2.05# metastat d100 d100: Mirror Submirror 0: d102 State: Okay Submirror 1: d105 State: Okay ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync from partition to partition fastest

Gentleman, Please move if I have chose the incorrect forum section. I am trying to move data that is not backed up from partition 1 to partition 2 on a SAN that has a GFS2 filesystem. Since the data is not backed up I am rsyncing this data and once verified I will delete from the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Advice

Guys, Can you tell me what value would additional knowledge of PERL and CGI scripting will add to my skill set of UNIX shell scripting and ORACLE PL/SQL? I understand that PERL is a good tool for text processing. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yabhi_22
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
SWAPON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff, swapctl -- specify devices for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapoff [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapctl [-AghklmsU] [-a file ... | -d file ...] DESCRIPTION
The swapon, swapoff and swapctl utilities are used to control swap devices in the system. At boot time all swap entries in /etc/fstab are added automatically when the system goes multi-user. Swap devices use a fixed interleave; the maximum number of devices is unlimited. There is no priority mechanism. The swapon utility adds the specified swap devices to the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be added, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be added as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is added. The swapoff utility removes the specified swap devices from the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be removed, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be removed as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is removed. Note that swapoff will fail and refuse to remove a swap device if there is insufficient VM (memory + remaining swap devices) to run the system. The swapoff utility must move swapped pages out of the device being removed which could lead to high system loads for a period of time, depending on how much data has been swapped out to that device. Other options supported by both swapon and swapoff are as follows: -F fstab Specify the fstab file to use. The swapctl utility exists primarily for those familiar with other BSDs and may be used to add, remove, or list swap devices. Note that the -a option is used differently in swapctl and indicates that a specific list of devices should be added. The -d option indicates that a spe- cific list should be removed. The -A and -U options to swapctl operate on all swap entries in /etc/fstab which do not have their ``noauto'' option set. Swap information can be generated using the swapinfo(8) utility, pstat -s, or swapctl -l. The swapctl utility has the following options for listing swap: -h Output values in human-readable form. -g Output values in gigabytes. -k Output values in kilobytes. -m Output values in megabytes. -l List the devices making up system swap. -s Print a summary line for system swap. The BLOCKSIZE environment variable is used if not specifically overridden. 512 byte blocks are used by default. FILES
/dev/{ada,da}?s?b standard paging devices /dev/md? memory disk devices /etc/fstab ASCII file system description table DIAGNOSTICS
These utilities may fail for the reasons described in swapon(2). SEE ALSO
swapon(2), fstab(5), init(8), mdconfig(8), pstat(8), rc(8) HISTORY
The swapon utility appeared in 4.0BSD. The swapoff and swapctl utilities appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. BSD
November 22, 2013 BSD