Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition advice
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Partition advice Post 302831087 by zaxxon on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 07:13:00 AM
Old 07-10-2013
  1. You can reduce the swap space. 40 GB is really far too much and even 10 GB sounds too much. Basically you don't want to have your servers swap at all because this will most probably make them somewhat slow.
    Check out: https://access.redhat.com/site/docum...-reducing-lvm2
  2. See 1.
  3. See 1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Looking for some advice

I am looking for some advice on wether to use unix or red hat linux? I have played with most windows OS and Mac OS up to in and including OS X. any and all advice would be appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justawind
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for advice...

Hi. First of all, Im an msoft guy, and when it comes to linux/unix, I'm retarded. Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to start I want to automatically connect to a remote server. Then I need it to login(https) -insert the licensce in the box(vi) -based on that licensce, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bravo24601
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Need advice on soft partition

Hello All, Am trying to expand the soft partition which is in mirror. Am getting following error. Whether is it possible? or i am doing wrongly. Please assist. bash-2.05# metastat d100 d100: Mirror Submirror 0: d102 State: Okay Submirror 1: d105 State: Okay ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync from partition to partition fastest

Gentleman, Please move if I have chose the incorrect forum section. I am trying to move data that is not backed up from partition 1 to partition 2 on a SAN that has a GFS2 filesystem. Since the data is not backed up I am rsyncing this data and once verified I will delete from the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Advice

Guys, Can you tell me what value would additional knowledge of PERL and CGI scripting will add to my skill set of UNIX shell scripting and ORACLE PL/SQL? I understand that PERL is a good tool for text processing. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yabhi_22
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
SWAPLABEL(8)						       System Administration						      SWAPLABEL(8)

NAME
swaplabel - print or change the label or UUID of a swap area SYNOPSIS
swaplabel [-L label] [-U UUID] device DESCRIPTION
swaplabel will display or change the label or UUID of a swap partition located on device (or regular file). If the optional arguments -L and -U are not given, swaplabel will simply display the current swap-area label and UUID of device. If an optional argument is present, then swaplabel will change the appropriate value on device. These values can also be set during swap creation using mkswap(8). The swaplabel utility allows to change the label or UUID on an actively used swap device. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -L, --label label Specify a new label for the device. Swap partition labels can be at most 16 characters long. If label is longer than 16 charac- ters, swaplabel will truncate it and print a warning message. -U, --uuid UUID Specify a new UUID for the device. The UUID must be in the standard 8-4-4-4-12 character format, such as is output by uuidgen(1). AUTHOR
swaplabel was written by Jason Borden <jborden@bluehost.com> and Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. AVAILABILITY
The swaplabel command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
mkswap(8), swapon(8), uuidgen(1) util-linux April 2010 SWAPLABEL(8)