Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the input from user and save it as .txt file Post 302831081 by zaxxon on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 07:07:07 AM
Old 07-10-2013
  • Just overwrite the old file with a redirection like echo "" > input.txt
  • Read input with a prompt can be achieved with read. Else could use positional shell parameters of the shell like $1, $2, ...
  • For writing input.txt, redirect as said.

Try it, show your efforts. Ask if you get stuck showing your code.
According to your code in post https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...only-once.html you should be able to get a start going.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input .txt file into .xls spreadsheet

I need to take the totals from my script and input them into a excel spreadsheet. Right now, I just copy and paste. Is there an easier way? 3906 is the total jobs in ABEND state 4005 is the total jobs in SUCC state 1050 is the total jobs in HOLD state (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wereyou
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save Excel file as .txt in UNIX format

I have some files created in Excel that have to be saved as .txt files in order to load them into our accounting system. I can save the files as .txt files through Excel, but I then have to open them in TextPad and do a save as to change the Format from PC to UNIX. Is there a way to skip this step... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroyalty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help awking a 'head -1 file.txt' input

Hi there, my ksh script collects a procstack trace for a particular pid and then greps it by a transaction id to find out the pthread ID: ---------- tid# 1876087 (pthread ID: 4466) ---------- So the pthread ID I want is 4466 in this case, and it is assighed to the variable $pthread.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf33uk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Time" command and save result in a file.txt

Hi, I'am using "time" to check execution time of some script. Is there any possibility to save time command result into a file ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physix
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add data from 2 input files and save it in 1 output file

Hi, i have 2 input files which are file1.txt and file2.txt. I need to extract data from file1.txt and file2.txt and save it in file3.txt like example below:- File1.txt ID scrap1 Name scrap1 start 1 end 10 ID scrap2 Name scrap2 start 11 end ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and save it as .txt file with some name..

Hello, I have a note pad at /usr/abc location with the following content, since it is a huge file i need to split it into multiple .txt files. A123|akdhj |21kjsdff |b212b1b21 |0 A123asdasd |assdd |asdasdsdqw|6 A123|QEWQ |NMTGHJK |zxczxczx|3 A123|GEGBGH |RTYBN ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Text file input data and save it.

Hi Guys, I have blank file A.txt I will run the script xyz.sh First i want to open a.txt file... Now i will enter some data like XYZ ABC PQR .. Save it and keep continue my script.... END of my script. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character string in txt file using input file(S)

Hi I have a large txt file on my AIX server and I need to replace some text using two other files. So filename1 has about 500 lines similar to: txtcode SYStem100 I have the string I want to change in string2 and the new stringname in string3. Does anyone know a way of doing this? I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search last column of INPUT.txt in TABLEs text and add correspond columns to INPUT.txt

Hi dears i use bash shell i have INPUT.txt like this number of columns different in one some row have 12 , some 11 columns see last column INPUT.txt CodeGender Age Grade Dialect Session Sentence Start End Length Phonemic Phonetic 63 M 27 BS/BA TEHRANI 3 4 298320 310050... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)