Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition advice
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Partition advice Post 302831079 by mcclunyboy on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 07:06:12 AM
Old 07-10-2013
Partition advice

Hi,

I have a number of RHEL servers, they are all identical in build and all are encountering disk space issues very frequently. I am hoping you can help me answer a few questions:

1. The servers have 40GB (:O) SWAP Space, I am hoping to reduce this to 10GB at most and then re-use the other 30GB. What is the best way to do this?

2. After doing the above, do I HAVE to create a new partition, or can I extend the existing partitions (I know I can use parted to do this but does it only work for the final partition)?

3. As the servers are virtual I can allocate more disk, I assume this is closely related to question 2- if I can use this to extend existing partitions I will, otherwise I will need to create extra partitions?

I have read quite a few articles around this, mainly from the RHEL knowledge-base and as I have never done this sort of thing before I was hoping for some advice/clarification.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Looking for some advice

I am looking for some advice on wether to use unix or red hat linux? I have played with most windows OS and Mac OS up to in and including OS X. any and all advice would be appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justawind
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for advice...

Hi. First of all, Im an msoft guy, and when it comes to linux/unix, I'm retarded. Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to start I want to automatically connect to a remote server. Then I need it to login(https) -insert the licensce in the box(vi) -based on that licensce, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bravo24601
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Need advice on soft partition

Hello All, Am trying to expand the soft partition which is in mirror. Am getting following error. Whether is it possible? or i am doing wrongly. Please assist. bash-2.05# metastat d100 d100: Mirror Submirror 0: d102 State: Okay Submirror 1: d105 State: Okay ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync from partition to partition fastest

Gentleman, Please move if I have chose the incorrect forum section. I am trying to move data that is not backed up from partition 1 to partition 2 on a SAN that has a GFS2 filesystem. Since the data is not backed up I am rsyncing this data and once verified I will delete from the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Advice

Guys, Can you tell me what value would additional knowledge of PERL and CGI scripting will add to my skill set of UNIX shell scripting and ORACLE PL/SQL? I understand that PERL is a good tool for text processing. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yabhi_22
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
KUMOCTL(1)						      General Commands Manual							KUMOCTL(1)

NAME
kumoctl - show kumofs status SYNOPSIS
kumoctl address[:port=19750] command [options] DESCRIPTION
Show status of kumo-manager and send control commands to kumo-manager. COMMANDS
status show status of the cluster attach attach all new servers and start replace attach-noreplace attach all new servers detach detach all fault servers and start replace detach-noreplace detach all fault servers replace start replace without attach/detach full-replace start full-replace (repair consistency) backup [suffix=20090304] create backup with specified suffix enable-auto-replace enable auto replace disable-auto-replace disable auto replace STATUS
hash space timestamp The time that the list of attached kumo-servers is updated. It is updated when new kumo-server is added or existing kumo-server is down. attached node The list of attached kumo-servers. (active) is normal node and (fault) is fault node or recoverd but not re-attached node. not attached node The list of recognized but not-attached nodes. AUTO REPLACING
By default, you have to attach new kumo-servers manually using kumoctl command. If the auto replacing is enabled, new kumo-servers are attached automatically. This is experimental feature. EXAMPLE
$ kumoctl mgr1 status $ kumoctl mgr1 attach SEE ALSO
kumo-manager(1). kumoctl July 2009 KUMOCTL(1)